Cheat Sheet: Barack Obama’s BP Oil Spill Speech
Last night, Barack Obama gave a 17-minute speech from the Oval Office about the horrific BP oil spill. It seems he is using this tragedy to teach us gas-guzzling Americans a lesson about clean energy, without actually saying exactly what the government plans to do. I know presidential speeches are not always the most riveting, so we don’t blame you if you didn’t watch it. However, this was a pretty important address. So take a look at our cheat sheet, after the jump.
- The speech called on Americans to see the awful oil spill as a reminder that we need to change and clean up our energy act. “The tragedy unfolding on our coast is the most painful and powerful reminder yet that the time to embrace a clean energy future is now,” Obama said. This is great and all, but it left us and a lot of pundits wondering what, exactly, the government has planned.
- Obama took BP to task for their ginormous mistake and vowed to “do whatever is necessary to help the Gulf Coast and its people recover from this tragedy.” Today, the Prez will meet with BP’s chairman to make sure he sets aside enough money to clean up this mess and compensate business owners and workers for the trouble the oil giant caused. A fund, aimed at insuring that everyone gets the compensation they deserve, will be set up and controlled by a third party. We just hope this third party is completely impartial. [Yahoo]
- Obama named former federal prosecutor and Justice Department inspector general Michael Bromwich as a government regulator whose sole job is to be in charge of offshore drilling. [USAToday]
- The President’s speech was criticized for being more about the big picture and less about what he’s actually going to do. [CS Monitor]
- Obama was also criticized for his overuse of combat analogies. He made it sound as if the BP oil spill is an attack on our shores and talked about the cleanup effort like a battle. We get that he was trying to appeal to hot-blooded Americans, but he could tone it down a bit. [CBS]
Did you catch the President’s speech? What did you think?
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.