Today’s Lady News: Is Sarah Palin A Feminist?
- Lots of feminists were pissed recently when Sarah Palin referred to herself as a “feminist” at a fundraiser. Los Angeles Times columnist Meghan Daum, who herself identifies as feminist, says, “If she has the guts to call herself a feminist, then she’s entitled to be accepted as one.” Do you agree? [L.A. Times]
- Moms-to-be are using “hypno-birthing” — or self-hypnosis — to put themselves into a trance before giving birth. [New York Post]
- Researchers say the stress of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks may have contributed to an increase in miscarriages of male fetuses — even among women who were not directly affected by the attacks. It should be noted, though, that the study only examined the miscarriage of male fetuses, because they are considered more sensitive to stressors than female fetuses. [CNN]
- Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg apparently has a ghostwriter — and she’s a lady! Kate Losse reportedly writes all of Zuckerberg’s emails in his “voice.” [Gawker]
- For the first time ever, California’s two top GOP races this year are dominated by women: Carly Fiorina is running for senate and Meg Whitman is wangling for the governor’s seat. [L.A. Times]
- The Mississippi high school that was sued by Constance McMillen, a lesbian student, for refusing to let her bring a female date to prom has denied it created a “sham prom” just for her while the other students partied elsewhere. Itawamba Country School District is currently battling these claims from the American Civil Liberties Union, which represents McMillen. [AP]
- The Oklahoma state legislature has overridden a third gubernatorial veto of an abortion-related bill. On Saturday, Gov. Brad Henry had vetoed a bill to require women to fill out a detailed questionnaire, identifying their race, education level and other details, before getting an abortion. That information will then be posted online at a state website. The bill’s supporters say the data would paint a better picture of which women have abortions, but abortion rights supporters said posting the data online violates women’s privacy, as some of the data might make them identifiable. [NewsOK.com]
- A recent Gallup poll found that 52 percent of Americans surveyed view gay and lesbian relationships as “morally acceptable,” compared with 43 percent who see them as “morally wrong.” [Gallup]
- Police in Farmington, New Mexico, say they believe a 55-year-old woman passed away on Monday from injuries she sustained during a rape. Very sad. [NewsWest9.com]
- A study of nine million Twitter accounts (which excluded celebs, so as not to skew the results) found that women tweet 12 percent more than men do. Separate research on Twitter’s users has also found the number of women trump the number of men on the micro-blogging site. [Huffington Post]
- Jessica Yellin, CNN’s National Political Correspondent, received the Gracie Award for Outstanding Hard News Feature from the Alliance of Women in Media for her series on “Political Women,” which examined whether women are treated differently in politics. [CNN]
- Our friends at TheGloss.com ask if we have to support serial breeder Michelle Duggar just because we consider ourselves “pro-choice”? [TheGloss.com]
- Trinidad and Tobago elected their first female prime minister yesterday, General Kamla Persad-Bissessar. [Bloomberg]
- Breastfeeding advocates are upset about a New Zealand Better Homes & Gardens “10 commandments” article, which read, “Thou shalt not breast feed at the table” — despite the fact that in NZ, women have the right to breastfeed in public. [NZherald.co.nz]
- For the second year in a row, the abortion rate has dropped in England and Wales. Experts say it’s too soon to call this a “trend,” though. [BBC]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.