In what I’m sure would constitute many a tweenager’s wildest dream, the Jonas Brothers were trapped in an elevator for 45 minutes last Saturday after a free outdoor concert. I like to imagine hundreds of girls running from the American Girl doll store in tears, tearing our their hair and screaming for their rescue. There were eight people in the 21-person elevator, including the Bros’ security guard Big Rob, Chef Tim Love, and their photographer, Rob Hoffman, who videotaped the ordeal. When asked who freaked out first, Joe said, “Me and Nick … It went from, ‘Okay, this is hilarious, we’re stuck in an elevator, okay press the button,’ to ‘This is crazy, okay, I can’t breathe, this is insane.’” But Nick insists he only panicked because of his diabetes, “I just didn’t have my [blood-sugar] checker with me. No one had it on them, and I was afraid that if [my blood-sugar level] went low in an elevator we wouldn’t be able to do anything about it.” The fire department eventually rescued the Tiger Beat heartthrobs with axes. [People]
It seems like, despite all the preparations, something always goes wrong at concerts. So we rounded up some concert catastrophes — enjoy!
- While performing in 2005, Fergie of the Black Eyed Pees accidentally peed herself onstage and later admitted, “I had a few drinks before the show, but I didn’t think to go to the bathroom before we went onstage. We were jumping around, it was all very rock and roll and my bladder just started … you know.” She apparently had to douse herself in champagne to hide the evidence. [Hollywood Rag]
- The Who was notoriously rowdy in concert (and in hotel rooms), but during a 1973 show at the Cow Palace in California, drummer Keith Moon took 15 horse tranquilizers before the show. He was informed that this is four times the amount given to a horse, but Moon replied, “I’m f**king Keith Moon.” He passed out during two songs before becoming completely useless. Pete Townshend asked the audience if anyone could play drums and a young man named Scott Halpin finished the set. Is it awful that I find Keith Moon and his destructive antics terribly hot? [The Stranger]
- One of my favorite Britney Spears moments was when she was doing her Circus tour and performed “I’m a Slave 4 U” with her lady parts mostly exposed. While she was being lowered from the stage for another costume change, her microphone was still on and she said, quite audibly, “My p**sy was hanging out!” At least she noticed for once, I guess? [Bump Shack]
- I’m still super grossed out that Ozzy Osbourne accidentally bit off a bat head. Apparently, the fan who threw it thought it was dead and Ozzy thought it was rubber! Ozzy said of the incident, “A fan threw it on stage and I thought it was a toy. It must have been stunned by the lights because it looked dead when I picked it up. I put it in my mouth as a joke. Its wings started flapping and I ripped it out of my mouth but its head came off!” Cringe. [Female First]
- Beyonce seems to be kind of accident-prone. In 2007, she accidentally tumbled, head first, down a flight of stairs and then jumped up and kept dancing! She asked her fans not to post a video on YouTube, but they totally didn’t listen. Later on in the year, Beyonce’s outfit “couldn’t handle that jelly” and one of her boobs was exposed briefly when her outfit went north. But seriously, Beyonce really did have one of the best videos of all time. [CelebrIdiot]
- At the 1992 VMAs, Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic threw his bass into the air, but was kinda drunk and forgot that whole “what goes up must come down” principle and was struck in the head in front of 300 million people. He “faked like [he] was knocked out” but was bleeding from the forehead. After the paramedics tended to him, Queen guitarist Brian May handed him a glass of champagne, so things weren’t exactly awful. Fun fact: now Novoselic is a blogger for Seattle Weekly! [Seattle Weekly]