The Secrets To Making It In Fashion, According To Kelly Cutrone
Even though the first season of her reality TV show is over, Kelly Cutrone is certainly not ready to give up the spotlight. She decided to create her own YouTube channel, and now she’s dishing out her expensive and sage advice. As the director of a highly successful fashion PR company, and someone who’s been in the industry for years, her thoughts are those you’ll want to pay attention to, especially if you’re just starting out. Scoop it up while you can, because you know her opinion on free advice. Read on for Kelly’s 10 tips for making it in fashion, with our quick and dirty explanations.
- Interns: work hard and don’t complain. The hours are long and the praise is little. Suck it up.
- Consistency is key. Prove yourself and your hard work will be rewarded in the end.
- Use the internet wisely. Don’t social media stalk your hopeful bosses. And if Kelly is your dream boss, definitely don’t use the phrases “I have a passion for fashion” or “Fashion is what my life is about.”
- Offer up ideas, but know the right moment. Make sure you gauge the right time to intervene to your bosses and don’t be an annoying little pest.
- Never lose your excitement. Love what you’re doing or you won’t make it out alive.
- Be the village girl. Be OK with who you are and embrace it.
- Have a neurotic personality. Check, double check, and triple check. The margin of error is extremely small in fashion.
- Observe the rest of the world. Step back, read the newspapers, and be part of the world outside of fashion.
- Go it alone at the right time. Be brave and pay attention to your instincts.
- Read my book. And hold back those tears.