Today’s Lady News: Obama Will Nominate A Supreme Court Justice Who Supports “Women’s Rights”
- When asked about Justice Stevens’ impending departure from the Supreme Court, President Obama said his nominee will take “into account individual rights and that includes women’s rights,” which some took to mean this person will support legal abortion. Obama added, “Part of what our core constitutional values promote is the notion that individuals are protected in their privacy and their bodily integrity and women are not exempt from that.” Obama also said he won’t have “litmus tests” for his SCOTUS nominees. [USA Today]
- Ben Roethlisberger, a quarterback for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who was recently accused of sexually assaulting a 20-year-old college student, will allegedly be banned from four to six games for violating the NFL’s personal conduct policy. Last week, prosecutors dropped charges against Roethlisberger. [AP]
- Navy Secretary Ray Mabus said he has met little resistance within the Navy since the proposal to drop the ban on women serving on submarines. [AP]
- A pilot program at three ob-gyn offices in North Carolina found that vaccination rates for women soar when they’re offered immunizations, such as ones for HPV and whooping cough, on visits to their gyno. [Los Angeles Times]
- Federal air marshal Lecheton O. Settles, 30, has been charged with first-degree rape after allegedly sexually assaulting an escort he hired at a Seattle area hotel. The victim claimed Settles contacted her through an escort website and paid her $180 upon her arrival. When she emerged from the bathroom after changing, she claimed Settles held a gun to her and said, “U.S. marshal! You have to do what I tell you to do.” Settles allegedly then raped the victim, demanded she return the money he paid her and then handcuffed her while he pretended to call his supervisor. Settles allegedly then told the woman his “supervisor” had told him he could let her go. Settles is being held on $250,000 bail. [Seattle Post-Intelligencer]
- Scott Roeder, an anti-abortion extremist who was recently convicted of murdering abortion provider Dr. George Tiller last May, has filed a petition complaining of his treatment in prison. Roeder has also asked to be released. [AP]
- Erlyndon Joseph Lo, 27, of Plano, Texas, was indicted by a federal grand jury yesterday for threatening deadly force at Dallas abortion clinics earlier this month. Plano had filed court papers at Plano’s federal courthouse seeking a temporary restraining order against police from harming him if he used “deadly force to defend the innocent life of another human being.” [Dallas Morning News]
- The NYPD has launched an investigation into sexual harassment allegations against Deputy Chief Michael Gabriel, who is accused of giving a female NYPD detective unwanted massages and sending her text messages where he referred to himself as “Jacob” and her as “Bella” from “Twilight.” [New York Daily News]
- Bisexual rapper Nicki Minaj spoke with Details about what it’s like being gay in hip hop and admitted it’s easier for her to be bisexual as a woman. [After Ellen]
- French President Nicolas Sarkozy told his Cabinet today that he will put forward a bill next month banning women from wearing body-covering veils in public. An initial proposal from France’s National Assembly had proposed banning body-covering veils in state-run public places, like in schools and on public transport. However, Sarkozy’s spokesman told the New York Times the President would prefer niqabs and burqas are banned from all public places. The country has been warned by legal authorities that such a ban might be unconstitutional. [New York Times]
- Two of the world’s best female mountain climbers — Edurne Pasaban of Spain and Oh Eun-sun of South Korea — are competing to become the first woman ever to climb the world’s 14 highest mountains. Both are currently on the slopes of their 14th mountain. [BBC]
Yesterday in Today’s Lady News we learned that a breast feeding advocacy billboard is pissing people off in Ohio.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.