Today’s Lady News: France Recalls Silicon Breast Implants Over Rupturing
- France has pulled a type of silicon gel breast implant after a French regulatory agency cited increased cases of the implants rupturing. The implants are manufactured in France by a company called PIP but are exported to 66 countries. Women with the recalled implants are advised to see their surgeon for an examination and have regular ultrasounds. [AP] [AP]
- Police arrested Erlyndon Joseph Lo, 27, of Plano, Texas, on Saturday for threatening deadly force against a Dallas abortion clinic. The day before, Lo had filed a court document at the Plano federal courthouse announcing his intention to go to the Southwestern Women’s Surgery Center in Dallas and “use deadly force to defend the innocent life of another human being.” His court filing sought a restraining order against law enforcement. His two charges are using interstate commerce to communicate a threat, and threatening force to intimidate and interfere with clients and employees of a reproductive health service. If convicted, Lo faces up to six years in prison. FBI agents said threatening and erratic behavior by Lo in recent months had already put him on their radar. [Dallas Morning News]
- Wilma Mankiller, former Chief of the Cherokee Nation and an advocate for the rights of Native Americans, passed away this morning. She was the first woman to serve as the Cherokee’s chief. Mankiller is the author of two books and a recipient of the Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Clinton. [Cherokee.org, Biography.com]
- Leah Brennan, a former reporter for NBC news in Kansas City, Missouri, filed a lawsuit claiming KSHB news director Richard Iler fired her so that he could offer her position to a subordinate employee whom he had slept with. Brennan’s lawsuit claims Iller told the subordinate over text message that he would find a job for her if the subordinate slept with him. [Gawker]
- Last week after complaints that the women’s music festival Lilith Fair intended to donate charity money to so-called “crisis pregnancy centers,” among other places, the festival dropped the CPCs from their donation list and dropped the reproductive rights group NARAL as well. Now Lilith Fair is opening up the process and taking “women’s charity” suggestions from fans until April 8. However, tour organizers still have not explained why NARAL was dropped, especially given how NARAL meets much of the criteria they are looking for in a “women’s charity.” [Reproductive Health Reality Check]
- Advocates for low-income parents say Rhode Island state funding for low-income families’ childcare has dropped 89 percent since 2005, from $56.1 million to $6.1 million, according to a report by the Women’s Fund of Rhode Island and the Poverty Institute. Working mothers and their kids are hit hardest by the cuts, the report explains. It also found that women in Rhode Island earned 74 cents to a man’s dollar in 2008. [Providence Journal]
- Bethany Morton, 24, of Minnesota, said a server and manager at Old Country Buffet in Maplewood told her to cover herself up while she was breastfeeding her 6-month-old son Dawson at the restaurant. When Morton and her fiancé refused, they were asked to leave and police were called. Minnesota law protects the rights of mothers to breastfeed in both public and private locations. A spokesperson for Old Country Buffet said they are aware of the law and accused Morton’s fiancé of being “verbally aggressive” when they were asked to leave. [Minneapolis Star-Tribune]
- Details have emerged from a sex discrimination lawsuit filed three years ago by a former communications director for Brooklyn Borough President Marty Markowitz. Among other claims, the lawsuit alleges that he called a female employee, who he thought was incompetent, “Tinkerbell.” [NY1]
- The birth rate for teen mothers dropped in 2008, as well as for women in their 20s and 30s. The birth rate for women in their early 40s rose by four percent in 2008 compared with the year before. Experts say the recession could be one possible reason for the decline. [AP]
- Police arrested David Lee Walker, 27, of Georgia, a pimp, for assault, battery, kidnapping and pimping after he ordered a group of prostitutes he pimps to beat and then cage a 21-year-old woman who no longer wanted to prostitute for him. The victim was being held in a 3-by-5-foot dog cage at a local hotel and police say they were tipped off to the girl’s location because Walker sent photos of her in the cage to his friends. The four prostitutes who beat the victims are all facing charges of aggravated assault and one also faces a charge for false imprisonment. [Hip-Hop Wired]
- Police have arrested an off-duty police officer and a corrections officer in California for kidnapping a 25-year-old woman from a mall and raping her at gunpoint on Saturday night. Police say Det. Anthony Orban of the Westminster Police Department got in her car and pointed a gun at her and told her to drive to Fontana, where he raped her. Corrections Officer Jeff Jelineck allegedly stood by and watched the incident unfold. The victim was able to escape to run off and call the police and Det. Orban accidentally left his gun behind in her car when he ran after her. He gave up chase, called Jelineck to pick him up without retrieving the gun, and went back to the mall, where he reported his gun, still in the victim’s car, as missing. Both Orban and Jelineck are being held in lieu of $1 million bail. [Los Angeles Times]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.