Today’s Lady News: Former Goldman Sachs VP Sues Over Getting “Mommy Tracked”
This originally posted yesterday at 6:30 pm, but then there was some sort of snafu and a bunch of text deleted. Anyway, here’s yesterday’s Lady News, uh, today. — Editor Amelia
- Charlotte Hanna, a former vice president at Goldman Sachs, is suing the company for setting her on a “mommy track,” which she says led to her getting fired while on maternity leave. Hanna was hired at Goldman Sachs in 1998 and promoted to vice president two years later. Her lawsuit claims, however, that she was demoted in 2005 after she returned from her first maternity leave and was fired while on her second maternity leave in 2009. “When Ms. Hanna decided to take the ‘off-ramp’ provided by the firm to devote time to her children, there was no ‘on-ramp’ that enabled her to return to full-time employment,” her lawsuit states. “Essentially, the ‘off-ramp’ was a direct path to a mommy-track that ultimately derailed Ms. Hanna’s career.” [Reuters]
- Today’s featured entry on Wikipedia.org is about “wife selling.” Interesting. [Wikipedia.org]
- Yesterday was the International Transgender Day of Awareness. Jos at Feministing has a great post up about her experience living openly as a transgender person. [Feministing]
- But sadly, Amanda (neé Edelbuerto) Gonzales-Andujar, a transgender woman, was found dead in a Queens, NYC, apartment on Tuesday. Her apartment had also been ransacked. Amanda was 29. [New York Daily News]
- Megan Carpentier at Jezebel explains how the defense contractors at Halliburton/KBR have “blamed the victim” when it comes to Jamie Lee Jones, a former KBR employee who was gang-raped and imprisoned by her co-workers. Halliburton/KBR has actually posted a “fact sheet” on their website called Facts About Jamie Lee Jones Litigation, which points out that Jones had been drinking the night she was gang-raped and had “socialized” with one of the men who raped her. [Jezebel]
- Three female financial advisers filed a sexual discrimination lawsuit on Tuesday against Bank of America and Merrill Lynch. The women claim male employees have been favored for promotion and salary increases. [MarketWatch]
- Tennessee’s State Senate has passed a bill requiring abortion clinics to post a sign which reads, “It is against the law for anyone, regardless of the person’s relationship to you, to coerce you into having or to force you to have an abortion.” [The Tennessean]
- Missouri’s House of Representatives has passed a bill with several abortion restrictions, including notifying prosecutors anytime a girl under the age of 18 inquires about terminating a pregnancy, with the intention of catching statutory rapists. The bill also makes it a crime to coerce a woman to have an abortion. [KCUR]
- Kansas Governor Mark Parkinson has not said whether or not he will veto a bill which aims to keep a late-term abortion provider from operating a clinic in the state. Kansas has been without a late-term abortion provider since last year’s murder of Dr. George Tiller. [UPI]
- Police in New York City arrested a 19-year-old man on Monday after they observed him sexually assaulting a woman, who was passed out, on a park bench in the West Village. The 34-year-old woman allegedly has no recollection of the attack and police are awaiting a toxicology report to ascertain if she was on substances during the incident. The man was charged with first-degree rape, first-degree-criminal sexual act, sexual misconduct and public lewdness and is being held on a $50,000 bail. [New York Post]
- A Hooters restaurant has opened up in Bridgehampton, part of “The Hamptons” on Long Island, New York. Just because you have money doesn’t mean you have class. [Gawker]
- The Veteran’s Administration has expanded its women’s clinic in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, to better serve the needs of female veterans. [WHNT]
- Police in Trenton, New Jersey, say a 15-year-old girl “pimped out” her 7-year-old step-sister at a party on Sunday, who was then gang-raped by up to seven boys and men. The sister has been charged with sexual assault, promoting prostitution, and other crimes. Police say she will be charged as an adult. [New York Daily News]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.