Today’s Lady News: Utah Ditches Bill Criminalizing Miscarriage
- The Utah legislator who introduced a bill to state government that would punish a woman for a miscarriage due to a “reckless act” has withdrawn the bill. The bill was intended to punish women for illegally aborting fetuses, based on the case of a 17-year-old girl who was seven months pregnant and paid a man to beat her up so she would miscarrying. Carl Wimmer (R) said he will rewrite the bill to make it narrower in scope. [New York Times]
- The Chicago Tribune published an article called “How To Lose Up To 10 Pounds Before Prom,” because that’s an awesome message to send high school-aged girls, of course. [Chicago Tribune]
- The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation, a media watchdog group, has weighed in on Life & Style’s stupid cover about Shiloh Jolie-Pitt’s “boy” haircut. (Shiloh’s a girl, FYI.) Unsurprisingly, they are not amused. [Fashion Indie]
- After winning a match with a male competitor, high school senior Paige Nemec of Columbus, Ohio, will be the state’s first female competitor at a statewide wrestling tournament. [Cleveland Plain Dealer]
- The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported on Thursday that in 2008, women in Missouri earned about 25 percent less of what their male counterparts were paid. This is a dip from 1998, when women in Missouri made 81 percent of what their male counterparts earned. [St. Louis Business Journal]
- The Senate Judiciary Committee voted yesterday to approve President Obama’s nominee for assistant attorney general, Dawn Johnsen, despite concerns by some in Congress that she is against waterboarding and she previously worked for a pro-choice group, the National Abortion Rights Action League. [New York Times]
- Police in Belmont, Massachusetts, say dozens of teenagers on 40 to 50 cell phones total have been sharing a nude photo of a middle school girl who sent the photo to a male classmate. He then sold the photo to other classmates for $5 each and distributed it via cell phone. [WCVB]
- Four women have reported having their butts groped by a man near San Jose University. Police say he is targeting females walking by themselves. [Mercury News]
- Two parents in George have been accused of offering sex with their 14-year-old daughter in lieu of making a payment on their minivan. The car dealer who actually took them up on the offer also happened to be a felon. [AP]
- Raina Kelley at Newsweek questions “the slow degradation of the word ‘feminist'” and enlists the inimitable Gloria Steinem for some insight. [Newsweek]
- The European Union’s new rights commissioner recently published data showing the average pay gap between men and women is 18 percent, with a 21.4 percent gap in the United Kingdom. (It’s unclear whether the data accounts for women’s time off for having children, etc.) The rights commission also seeks to encourage employers to post gender-neutral job descriptions in the future. [Telegraph]
- The Arts and Culture Minister Lulu Xingwana of Pretoria, Africa, walked out of the “Innovative Women” art exhibition in Johannesburg, South Africa, last week because she felt some of the works depicting women were “pornographic” and stereotyped black women. [AFP]
Read yesterday’s Today’s Lady News: Saudi Woman To Get 300 Lashes For Appearing In Court Without A Male Guardian
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.