Today’s Lady News: American Apparel’s Best Butt Contest Is Mercifully Over
- American Apparel’s prestigious “Best Bottom In The World” contest has wrapped up, naming a lady (er, we think that’s lady booty) called “Boom Boom” from Santo Domingo the winner. Too bad the “Best Bottom” contest is over, because The Frisky quite enjoyed prank-calling American Apparel stores about the contest. And, you know, entering it. [Jezebel]
- Women have fared better than men in the recent economic downturn, according to a study by the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. One key example? In August 2009, the unemployment rate for men hit 11 percent while hitting only 8.3 percent for women. [Reuters]
- The New York chapter of the National Organization for Women has called for NY Gov. David Paterson to resign after news broke last week that Paterson allegedly helped his senior aide, David Johnson, cover up an incident of domestic abuse against Johnson’s girlfriend. “This latest news is very disappointing for those of us who believed the governor was a strong advocate for women’s equality and for ending violence against women,” said Marci Pappas, NOW-NYC’s president. [New York Times]
- Oklahoma’s House of Representatives overwhelmingly passed a bill that will require women to view an ultrasound one hour before they have an abortion. The bill now heads to the State Senate. [KGBT]
- A police officer in Camden, New Jersey, Keith Hicks, has lost his job after 19 years on the force under terms of a plea agreement where he admitted to inappropriately touching two women he ordered into his pickup truck while he was off-duty but wearing his uniform. Hicks was suspended from the Camden PD in August. [NJ.com]
- Members of the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASP) of World War II will be honored with Congressional Gold Medals at the U.S. Capitol on March 10. WASP utilized female civilian pilots to contribute to the war effort and helped break the glass ceiling for female pilots after the war. [AOPA.org]
- The Daily Beast has a profile of Stephanie Schriock, the new president of EMILY’s List, a political action committee that raises millions of dollars for female, pro-choice Democratic candidates. (The acronym stands for “Early Money Is Like Yeast.”) The Montana-born Schriock has worked in the past as an adviser for Howard Dean and Al Franken. [The Daily Beast]
- The Wall Street-focused blog 24/7 Wall St. has a list of the worst corporations for women to work at based on the number of high-ranking female executive officers. [24/7 Wall St.]
- The Vatican has defended the ex-communication of the mother and doctors of a 9-year-old Brazilian girl who had an abortion after allegedly being raped by her stepfather. [WAtoday]
- France recently became the first country in the world to remove transexualism from their official list used by doctors to diagnose mental illnesses. [Advocate]
- Gabriele Koepe, an 80-year-old German woman, has gone public with the sexual assaults she suffered at the hands of Soviet soldiers during World War II. Her memoir, Why Did I Have To Be A Girl?, explains the sexual violence 15-year-old Koepe suffered when Stalin’s army marched into Berlin, as well as the taboos for German women to discuss that violence for decades afterward. [WAtoday]
- An independent think tank in the Uzbekistan capital has alleged that the Uzbek government is instructing health workers to surgically sterilize women, often against their consent. In 2009, one Uzbek group alleged that doctors were falsely claiming women needed to be sterilized because they had gynecological problems. [AP]
- Burma’s Supreme Court rejected a house arrest appeal on Friday for Aung San Suu Kyi, a pro-democracy activist in Burma and a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize. Suu Kyi has spent about 14 of the past 20 years in jail or under house arrest for her advocacy against Burma’s military rule. [France 24]
- According to a poll of 1,000 British women, there is a mistaken belief that heterosexual women have little risk of HIV infection from unprotected sex. [Guardian UK]
*** As commenter kr070707 has pointed out, the first item under International Lady News stories is over a year old, from March 2009. My bad!***
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.