The Dalai Lama And Other Unlikely Twitterers
On Monday, the Dalai Lama’s Twitter account was launched and it’s being updated regularly. The Tibetan spiritual leader already has over 6,000 followers. This is a pretty big eff you to China, where Twitter is currently banned. [LA Times]
Personally, I never thought I’d see the day but after nosing around for some other unlikely Twitter users, I can’t say I’m all that surprised. Check out some more unlikely Tweeters who you should start following ASAP.
- Just this week, Conan O’Brien joined Twitter and, although he’s only Tweeted twice, he already has over 300,000 followers. Today he said, “This morning I watched Remington Steele while eating Sugar Smacks out of a salad bowl. I was naked.”
- The Pope may want everyone to give up social media for Lent, but that hasn’t stopped the Vatican from Twittering away.
- Pee-Wee Herman was so desperate to get followers that he told peeps whoever re-tweeted his first Tweet would get a phone call from him. [Mashable]
- MC Hammer is on Twitter and he’s actually pretty funny.
- If you’ve ever been to the American Museum of Natural History, you’ll probably remember the ginormous whale. If, while there, you developed a certain affection for him (it?) you can keep in touch with the sea creature via cyberspace @NatHistoryWhale.
- Even Rania Al Abdullah, the Queen of Jordan, is using social media!