On Monday, the Dalai Lama’s Twitter account was launched and it’s being updated regularly. The Tibetan spiritual leader already has over 6,000 followers. This is a pretty big eff you to China, where Twitter is currently banned. [LA Times]
Personally, I never thought I’d see the day but after nosing around for some other unlikely Twitter users, I can’t say I’m all that surprised. Check out some more unlikely Tweeters who you should start following ASAP.
- Just this week, Conan O’Brien joined Twitter and, although he’s only Tweeted twice, he already has over 300,000 followers. Today he said, “This morning I watched Remington Steele while eating Sugar Smacks out of a salad bowl. I was naked.”
- The Pope may want everyone to give up social media for Lent, but that hasn’t stopped the Vatican from Twittering away.
- Pee-Wee Herman was so desperate to get followers that he told peeps whoever re-tweeted his first Tweet would get a phone call from him. [Mashable]
- MC Hammer is on Twitter and he’s actually pretty funny.
- If you’ve ever been to the American Museum of Natural History, you’ll probably remember the ginormous whale. If, while there, you developed a certain affection for him (it?) you can keep in touch with the sea creature via cyberspace @NatHistoryWhale.
- Even Rania Al Abdullah, the Queen of Jordan, is using social media!