Olympic Lovahs: Evan Lysacek & Nastia Liukin, And Other Medal-Wearing Sweethearts
Cute couple alert! Turns out that gold medal figure skater Evan Lysacek and gold medal gymnast Nastia Liukin have been dating since the summer, when they met at a “Skating & Gymnastics Spectacular.” Liukin came to Vancouver to support her beau. “To see his dreams come true was amazing. Even though we’re not in the same sport, we got to connect at the same level because there’s nothing like the Olympics,” she said. “It was nice to be on the other side of things and be the support system, but I was nervous.” But why the secrecy? As far as I can tell, girls are crushing on Johnny Weir, who is even more unavailable than Lysacek. [NY Daily News]
The good thing about athletes dating is that when and if they breed, their spawn will be ultra athletes, emerging from the womb doing cartwheels. Oh, but there are more adorable Olympic couples out there. After the jump, our favorites.
- Chinese figure skating team Zhao Hongbo and Shen Xue took home his-and-her gold medals at this year’s Olympics in the free program skating competition. The couple has been skating together for 18 years and has been married for three years. It was also the first time in 40 years that the medal didn’t go to the Russians in this competition, so go China! [ABC News]
- U.S. Halfpipe Snowboarders Elena Hight and Greg Bretz have been dating for almost a year, after meeting last winter when Bretz joined the snowboard team. Hight said of her manfriend, “The best thing about Greg is that he finds joy in all of the small things. He can make any situation fun no matter what the circumstances are.” The romantic Bretz responded, “Elena and I have truly leaned on each other throughout this season. She is my best friend, and it has been so rad to have her give me insight as what to expect, reminding me to enjoy the entire Olympic experience. I am so stoked to go to Vancouver and have us represent the U.S. together.” Damnit … that’s so cute I don’t have anything mean to say. Sigh. [The Ski Channel]
- U.S. alpine skiers Lindsey and Thomas Vonn have been married since 2007. Thomas doesn’t compete anymore, but he mostly used to ski giant slaloms and placed ninth in the 2002 Olympics while Lindsey scored gold this year. Hope Tom’s not feeling emasculated after watching his wife clean up on the slopes! [U.S. Ski Team]
- U.S. skaters Amanda Evora and Jeremy Barrett skate on rival teams, but have been dating for five years and live together. Evora says of their rivalry, “I have competed against my boyfriend, Jeremy, for many years. Nothing has changed. We do know when it’s boyfriend-girlfriend time and when it’s skating time. We’ve learned our boundaries for each other, when to be there for each other, when not to be. Personal is personal, and business is business. So it makes complete sense in my mind. I know it seems kind of odd to a lot of people.” I bet there’s some hot angry sex to be had from this arrangement. [L.A. Times Blog]
- Dutch speed skating hottie Sven Kramer is dating Dutch field hockey player Naomi van As. Naomi’s team won gold during the 2008 Olympics, which was around the time the couple started dating. Meanwhile, Sven took gold at this year’s Olympics. Jeez, I’m starting to wonder if there’s a correlation between being in a relationship and kicking Olympic butt? [Zimbio]
We highly encourage everyone in the Olympic Village at the moment to get together. For example, Tanith Belbin would look so cute with skier Magnus Moan of Norway. And I’d love to see U.S. snowboarders Shaun White and Lindsey Jacobellis together, just because their babies would have the cutest ginger ringlets. Smiley American bobsledder Bree Schaaf would look good with Swedish Hockey dreamboat Loui Eriksson. And Canadian skeleton rider Amy Gough and American biathlon contender Tim Burke both have awesome dimples, which, as far as I’m concerned, is reason enough to elope.