Today’s Lady News: Saints Linebacker Scott Fujita Jumps Into Tim Tebow Commerical Debate
- Have you been following the Super Bowl kerfluffle? During the game, CBS will be airing an anti-abortion commercial from the conservative organization Focus on the Family starring Tim Tebow, but the channel told a gay dating company called Man Date that their commercial would not be allowed to run. Now New Orleans Saints linebacker Scott Fujita has stepped into the fray by voicing his support for reproductive rights. On Tuesday, Fujita said he respects Tebow’s choice to be in the ad, but admitted “he and I might not see eye to eye all the way.” Fujita added that he was born to a teen mother and given up for adoption. “I’m just so thankful she had the courage and the support system to be able to carry out the pregnancy,” he said. “I wouldn’t expect that of everybody.” Jeez Louise, when did the dang Super Bowl become about politics?! [New York Times]
- For the first time ever, the Pentagon will require overseas military bases to stock emergency contraception (also called the morning-after pill). [Washington Post]
- “The Late Show With David Letterman” now has a lady in the writers’ room: Assistant Jill Goodwin has been promoted as a staff writer. Letterman’s writing team has had women in the past, but it has also been criticized for being a macho environment. In the October 2009 issue of Vanity Fair former staff writer Nell Scovell called Letterman’s writing room “hostile” to women. [Salon.com Broadsheet]
- Utah’s House of Representatives approved a bill which would require women to see an ultrasound before having an abortion. The bill now heads to the Utah State Senate. [LocalNews8]
- Iowa’s State Senate is considering a bill which would provide free birth control to low-income men and women under age 55. [KCRG]
- In late January, police arrested a man who somehow broke into the Lusty Lady strip club in Seattle in a ceiling crawl space. The man’s legs crashed through the ceiling above the dance floor, startling a performer. Police say he was trying to make his way to the Lusty Lady dressing room. [Seattle Times]
- Eek! This sounds like a painful read: Get Me Out: A History Of Childbirth, by Randi Hutter Epstein, M.D. [New York Times]
- A 16-year-old girl in Turkey was buried alive under a chicken coop by relatives in what looks like a so-called “honor killing.” Before she was killed, Medine Meme had gone to police to report that her grandfather had beaten her for talking to two boys. Since her body was discovered, Meme’s father and grandfather have both been arrested. Local police may also be to blame for the girl’s death: “She tried to take refuge at the police station three times, and she was sent home three times,” Meme’s mother said. [Daily Mail UK]
- Women’s rights groups in South Korea are speaking out against a recent crackdown against abortions, which are illegal in the country. In a joint statement the ten groups said, “If the government attempts to crack down on abortions, it will lead to an increase in surgery being carried out by unlicensed doctors in unauthorized clinics. As a result, it will threaten women’s health and even lives.” [Yonhap News]
- Secretary of State Hillary Clinton has announced her support of Liberian President Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, who is running for re-election. Liberia is the first African country to elect a female president. [Feminist Daily News]
- Ten-year-old Kelsey Roy of Ontario received a prestigious Medal of Bravery from the Canadian government for saving her mom’s life two years ago when she fell through ice into freezing water. [Canadian Broadcasting Center]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.