Today’s Lady News: Woman Has Beef With Florida Hospital Over Court-Ordered Bed Rest
- Samantha Burton, 26, of Florida, hired the ACLU to strike down a court order sought by Tallahassee Memorial Hospital after she was confined to bed rest against her will during a difficult pregnancy. In March 2009, Burton began to go into premature labor during her 25th week of pregnancy and went to the hospital. But when they told her she may have to be on bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy, Burton said she had to take care of her two toddlers at home. The hospital then received a court order to force Burton on bed rest to “preserve the life and health of [her] unborn child.” Sadly, Burton eventually ended up miscarrying. But now the ACLU is on the case over the alleged violation of Burton’s right to make her own medical decisions and arguing the court-ordered bed rest set a dangerous precedent for other pregnant women who may engage in risky behaviors. [ABC News]
- First Lady Michelle Obama announced she will make reducing childhood obesity the “legacy” of her husband’s term. Oops, I thought her legacy was buff upper arms. [New York Times]
- Mattel wants you to vote on Barbie’s career for 2010. The options are: environmentalist, surgeon, architect, news anchor or computer engineer. Naturally, I voted “news anchor,” then realized this bitch is probably going to steal my job out from under me. [Barbie.com]
- The USO responded to criticism of the makeup-and-Cosmo-filled care packages they have sent to female servicewomen. On their blog they wrote: “The Care Package for Female Troops in its current version reflects what women told us they would like to have while serving overseas. Maybe we got it wrong, or maybe this is one of those good deeds that does not go unpunished. Either way, we don’t intend to guess. We routinely survey all Care Package recipients to find out what the troops actually want—not what we think they should have.” Personally I don’t see what the big deal was in the first place. Everyone likes a care package, no matter what’s in it, and female service members are still women. If they want to read Cosmo, let them read Cosmo! [Feministing]
- Carnival Cruise Lines said “no thanks” to hosting another “cougar cruise”. Apparently the company wants to distance itself from hosting seXXXy “theme” cruises. [ABC News]
- According to a survey of 33,000 teenage girls by Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, 26 percent are involved in some sort of violent behavior at school or work, whether it’s one-on-one or in a group. Teenage boys are still more likely (33 percent) to be involved in violence, however. [NBC News]
- The abstinence club at Harvard University is hosting a conference called “Rethinking Sex: Building Healthy Relationships In A Hook-up World.” The first lecture of the conference is called “How to Avoid Falling for a Jerk (or Jerkette),” and while, generally, I’m wary of people who preach abstinence, avoiding jerks does sound useful. [Love And Fidelity]
- Yay! Anne Hathaway will receive Harvard University’s prestigious Hasty Pudding award and attend a roast (by men in drag!) in her honor. [NBC News]
- Amidst protests of insensitivity to Muslims, French President Nicholas Sarkozy said in a speech yesterday he supports a proposed ban on burqas. Sarkozy explained he wants to be “unambiguous” that sexual inequality is “not welcome” in France. [Guardian UK]
- A motel in South Korea has become a shelter for brides from developing countries who were kicked out of the house or abused by their husbands. In South Korea, men outnumber women and many are bringing in brides from places like China, Mongolia and Thailand. A report by the Korea Institute for Health and Social Affairs said half of foreign brides experience domestic violence. [L.A. Times]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.