Today’s Lady News: Jean Biden, Mother Of The Vice President, Dies At 92
- Jean Biden, mother of Vice President Joe Biden, passed away today at 92. [Boston.com]
- Portugal passed a bill today to allow gay marriage, which the conservative president is unlikely to veto. So. Gay marriage in a predominantly Catholic country in Europe, but not California, New York or New Jersey. [New York Times]
- Anne Kornblut, the White House correspondent for The Washington Post, recently published a new book, Notes from the Cracked Ceiling: Hillary Clinton, Sarah Palin, and What It Will Take For A Woman To Win. ABC News recently spoke with Kornblut about what it will take to shatter the glass ceiling for good. [ABC News]
- What a cool inspiration: trucker-turned-lawyer Wynona Ward drives around rural Vermont in an SUV providing legal representation and support services to victims of domestic violence. “For domestic violence victims in rural areas, it can be very devastating,” she said. “They’re out there on these back roads, with no access to in-town services.” [CNN]
- Jean Quan of Oakland, California, is making a go of it to be elected the city’s first female mayor. [Politics Daily]
- Chloe Angyal at Feministing shares her awards season wish list for women in Hollywood. [Feministing]
- Let this be the last of the year-end wrap-ups: The Nation’s women’s issues columnist Katha Pollit analyzes feminism in the aughties for us. [The Nation]
- That’s love: a woman was trapped in Lake Michigan after she waded into the cold water to help her dog, who had fallen through the ice and couldn’t get back to shore. Luckily, both woman and dog were rescued by firefighters. [Chicago Breaking News]—I can totally see both Erin and Amelia doing this!
- The New York Times spoke with four people in Uganda—where politicians recently considered punishing HIV-positive gays with death—about gay and transgendered rights. [New York Times]
- A 23-year-old British woman in Dubai was arrested after she reported being raped on New Year’s Eve by a hotel employee. The woman, who was celebrating the holiday and her recent engagement, passed out drunk in a hotel bathroom. When she and her fiance reported the rape the next day, the couple and the rapist were all locked up for having sex outside of marriage. [Salon: Broadsheet]
- A court in India decided a woman or girl who reports sexual assault must be believed. It further acknowledged victims should be believed because “a girl or a woman would be extremely reluctant even to admit [a rape] had taken place [because it would] reflect on her chastity.” [Indian Express]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.