Girl Talk: Instead Of “I’ll Never,” Here’s What “I’ll Always” Do In A Relationship
Over the last year, I have spent a lot of time — both in my free time and on this site — thinking and venting about the mistakes I made and the lessons I learned from the breakup of my five-year relationship with my ex. Lots of “I’ll nevers” have come out of my mouth and onto the keyboard. I’ll never date a professional bulls**tter again! I’ll never try to heal an emotional cripple! I’ll never ignore my gut instinct again! Good lessons, for sure. But honestly, all this “never” talk makes it easy to forget that I — hell, we — did a lot of things right in that relationship too: habits, feelings, and actions that I will always want to be a part of my romantic relationships going forward. Here are 15.
- I will always care deeply about his relationship with his family.
- I will always need to feel secure enough to let him see me at my best, worst, happiest, saddest, angriest, highest, lowest, and everything in between.
- I will always offer the security for him to show me his best, worst, happiest, saddest, angriest, highest, lowest, and everything in between.
- I will always give 100% trust and be 100% worth trusting.
- I will always challenge him to be the best man he can be.
- I will always expect him to care about my pleasure as much as I care about his.
- I will always share the cooking responsibilities.
- I will always find it funny when he farts.
- I will always talk in my Lucca voice in front of him, without embarrassment, until he joins in too.
- I will always bust his balls.
- I will always endure his teasing back.
- I will always be concerned about his health, even if it makes me come off like a nag.
- I will always say “I love you” as often as I have the urge.
- I will always have my own life separate from ours.
- I will always want him to be my best friend, even if it means losing that friendship if we split up.