Today’s Lady News: Male Columnist Calls For More Female Sex Scandals!
- Perhaps inspired by the Daily Beast article on the very same subject, a male op-ed columnist for the Washington Post wondered why women don’t have sex scandals like men (um, men like Tiger Woods) do. [WaPo]
- Remember yesterday when I wrote about the 14-year-old boy in California who allegedly raped a 12-year-old girl in an empty stairwell at school, while classes were going on? The one that was reported by at least one other student who witnessed the rape in progress? Mustapha Cannon, the school site supervisor for Portola Middle School, where the incident occurred, described it as a consensual act of “hormones gone wild.” Cannon used pretty typical language as far as ‘she wanted it at first but changed her mind,’ rape-apologist language goes. “They probably just took it too far and embarrassment kicked in,” he said “As far as calling it a rape, I think it’s something that they did together and it got worded the wrong way.” A spokesperson for the school district where the alleged rape occurred refused to comment on Cannon’s statements. Um, maybe this guy should STFU and stop talking to the press? [KRON.com via Feministing, UPI.com]
- A study by Indiana University found half of all teen girls who live in cities have at least one sexually transmitted infection within two years of becoming sexually active. An IU professor said part of the problem is that by the time these girls receive formal sex ed, some of them are already sexually active and spreading infections. [CBS News]
- New York Senator Charles Schumer referred to a flight attendant as a “bitch” during takeoff on a US Airways flight from New York to Washington on Sunday. Schumer made his comment to NY State’s other senator, Kristen Gillibrand, after he was chastised for gabbing on his cell phone. Another passenger overhead Schumer’s remark and tattled to the politics blog, Politico. [NY Daily News]
- A judge in Arizona has dropped charges against a 9-year-old boy who participated in the gang rape of an 8-year-old girl with three other boys. All of the children involved (the other boys are ages 10, 13, and 15) are refugees from Liberia. While the 15-year-old boy will be charged as an adult and has a hearing scheduled on Friday, the Arizona judge ruled the 9-year-old boy is too young and unsophisticated to understand the justice system. [AZ Central]
- Women in Japan are eating collagen-enhanced yogurt and cheesecake to fight wrinkles. Problem is, these Franken foods don’t seem to work. [NY Mag, The Cut ]
- Female newscasters on one of Saudi Arabia’s religious channels, Awtan TV, read the headlines veiled head-to-toe in black burqas. Male technical assistants aren’t even allowed in the studio while the women are presenting. [BBC]
Yesterday in Today’s Lady News we learned Washington, D.C approved same-sex marriage and the magazine ‘Publisher’s Weekly’ upset some people after they illustrated an article about African-American authors with a cover image involving hair picks in the shape of an afro.