Today’s Lady News: Houston Elects A Lesbian Mayor
- Holy crap! This weekend, Houston, Texas, elected Annise Parker, an openly gay woman, as their mayor. Parker, a Democrat, celebrated her win with her partner and their three children. Texas, we are sorry we have judged you so harshly in the past. [Houston Chronicle]
- Women comprise more than half of the entrants in this year’s Whitney’s Biennial, a showcase of contemporary art, compared with 40 percent of entrants in 2008 and only 32 percent in 2000. [NYMag.com]
- Three female newspaper editors-in-chief (San Diego, Tampa and Oregon) all left their jobs last week. Even if it’s simply a result of the dying newspaper industry, does it indicate something portentous for women in journalism overall? [Editor & Publisher]
- Apparently, the movie “Precious” has underscored the utter lack of diversity in mainstream filmmaking, specifically how a movie made by a black filmmaker has never before been nominated for Academy Award for Best Picture in the Oscars’ 81-year history. [New York Times]
- Remember those women who tied a cheating husband to a bed and Krazy Glued his penis to his stomach? Their lawyers have reached plea bargains and the ladies won’t be getting jail time. Uhhh … that’s just insanely wrong. [Chicago Tribune]
- Ann Friedman at the blog Feministing wrote a pretty fantastic post about Jacob in New Moon and domestic violence. [Feministing]
- A 17-year-old boy in West Palm Beach, Florida, was sentenced to 30 years today for participating in the gang rape of a woman and the beating of her young son. The other teenager and the two other adults involved in the gang rape were sentenced to life in prison back in October. [Miami Herald]
- A study of women published last week in the journal Ethnicity and Disease found that women of Chinese and Korean descent are two-and-a-half times more likely than Caucasian women, and three times more likely than African-American women, to get gestational diabetes while pregnant. [Chicago Tribune]
- A 26-year-old Lance Corporal Marine at Camp Lejeune in Jacksonville, NC, has been charged by police with statutory rape of a 15-year-old girl. [Jacksonville Daily News]
On Friday in Today’s Lady News, we learned that Jenny Sanford, the wife of South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford, is filing for divorce.
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.