Today’s Lady News: Jenny Sanford Files For Divorce
- Jenny Sanford has filed for divorce from Gov. Mark Sanford of South Carolina, who caused a scandal earlier this year when it was discovered he was carrying on an affair with a woman in Argentina. On Barbara Walters’ most interesting people special Wednesday night, Sanford wisely said, “Certainly [my husband’s] actions hurt me, and they caused consequences for me, but they don’t in any way take away my own self-esteem. They reflect poorly on him.” Awesome. [New York Times]
- Uganda has voted to outlaw female circumcision, also known as female genital mutilation. Anyone convicted of the practice faces 10 years in jail or life in prison if the girl dies from it. [BBC]
- Notre Dame, the nation’s premiere Catholic university, apparently hired a pro-choice football coach. That’s great and all, but what does one’s opinion on abortion have to do with football? [Bitch Magazine]
- Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor graced the cover of Latina magazine and gave a revealing interview about who she is as a person. Turns out she has diabetes, is divorced from her high school sweetheart, loves hoop earrings, and thinks the Cinderella fairy tale is a bunch of BS. [Jezebel]
- The New York Times found that studies of athletic-enhancing shoes targeted towards women, like MBTs, EasyTone and ShapeUps, don’t validate claims that the shoes actually tone butt and leg muscles as promised. [New York Times]
- Michael David Barrett of Illinois, the man accused of filming pervy peeping Tom videos of ESPN sportcaster Erin Andrews naked in her hotel room, has plead guilty to the intent to “harass or to cause substantial emotional distress.” [USA Today]
- A proposed state bill in Colorado would require the state’s insurance companies to cover both maternity care and birth control. Said K. Jerry Frangas, co-sponsor of the bill, “My understanding is that some insurance companies cover Viagra. If we’re going to cover reproductive issues or issues related to one gender, we should cover reproductive issues related to both genders. It’s an issue of discrimination.” [Colorado Independent]
- Jason Ara Irpinar of California has been charged with drugging and raping two women he met on MySpace. [L.A. Times]
- New York City’s fire department, the FDNY, is seriously considering hiring lawyer Mylan Denerstein as its first female Fire Commissioner. Women were not even allowed to apply for firefighting jobs with the FDNY until 1977. [New York Post]
- A white man has been charged with assault and a bias-motivated crime after dragging a black woman out of a bar by her hair and using a racial obscenity against her. Police say Dustin Meadows was apparently aggravated after the woman asked him to apologize for spilling beer on her. [AP]
- Uganda’s Minister of Ethics and Integrity announced it will drop a death penalty punishment for HIV+ gays and life imprisonment for all other gays, following a global outcry over a proposed bill. [Bloomberg]
- Hundreds of Afghani women, many clad in body-covering burqas, protested against corruption and connections to the Taliban in President Hamid Karzai’s government yesterday. The protest leader said, “These women are very brave. To be a woman in Afghanistan and an activist can mean death. We want justice for our loved ones!” [L.A. Times]
- There’s apparently a midwife shortage at a hospital in the U.K. where a newborn baby girl recently died. [BBC]
- The Inter-Press Service news agency explains how the government’s decision to ban the Islamic veil in some academic institutions is upsetting to women who choose to be veiled. [Inter Press Service]
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.