Today’s Lady News: Houston Might Elect A Lesbian Mayor!
- Who would have thought the largest American city to (hopefully) elect an openly gay woman as mayor would be Houston, Texas? Cross your fingers for Annise Parker, a Democratic Houston City Controller and a lesbian, in the election this weekend. Parker has a small lead in the polls but is struggling against homophobia. One anti-gay activist sent out 35,000 mailers with a photo of Parker that says, “Is this the image Houston wants to portray?” [The Daily Beast]
- Massachusetts’ Governor Deval Patrick has appointed the state’s first-ever female Superintendent of State Police. Hopefully, Marian J. McGovern can keep those Ma**-holes in line! [The Boston Globe]
- Roman Polanski’s lawyer asked an appeals court in California to dismiss the case against him for drugging and raping a 13-year-old girl in 1977. Polanski spent 42 days in prison at the time and recently spent about three months in a Swiss prison before being sent to house arrest at his chalet in Gstaad. [L.A. Times]
- Michigan’s state government is considering a bill that would provide legal protections for mothers who breast feed in public. It’s kind of sad that moms feeding their babies isn’t just a given, right? “At its heart, it is sex discrimination to not allow women to do something that is natural to them in a place they have a right to be,” said State Representative Rebekah Warren (D-Ann Arbor). [Detroit Free Press]
- “The politics of physical revulsion”—i.e., thinking gay sex is gross—is what’s lurking behind the opposition to same-sex marriage, according to Martha Nussbaum, a philosopher at the University of Chicago. [New York Times Magazine]
- A study of 151,000 women in the Women’s Health Initiative found that those who took bone-building drugs, like Fosamax and Actonel, were one-third less likely to develop breast cancer over a period of seven years. [AP]
- Ex-Jezebel blogger, Megan Carpentier, has penned an op-ed for The Guardian urging pro-choice advocates not to “rest on their laurels” after health care reform battles with the Stupak-Pitts and Nelson-Hatch Amendments. [Guardian UK]
- The sale of RU-486, the abortion pill, has been given final approval in Italy. However, unlike in other European countries, RU-486 will only be administered in hospitals. [BBC]
- Spain is amending its proposed bill on abortion to include a parental consent clause. Girls ages 16 and 17 must notify at least one parent in order to end a pregnancy. [AP]
- Puerto Rican boxer Miguel Cotto has been sued $500,000 for sexual harassment by the administrator of a residence he owns. Martha Chacon Acevedo said Cotto made unwanted sexual advances, which she eventually gave in to in order to keep her job, and that she was fired after ending their relationship. [AP]
- Read any of French feminist Simone de Beauvoir’s book The Second Sex while in college? I didn’t know this before, but blogger Anna Clark has opened my eyes to how TSS was originally translated from French by a zoologist, who mistakenly thought the book was a sex manual, turned out to be disappointed, and left 20 percent of it out. Recently, however, TSS has been re-translated in full by two females. I’ll have to make like a Gender And Sexuality Studies 101 student again and give this new version a read. [Isak]
Yesterday in Today’s Lady News, we read about how Jon Stewart called out “Fox & Friends” co-host Gretchen Carlson for playing a dumb blonde on air, even though she has a degree from Stanford!
5 Signs You Belong Together
We've all heard the old saying that there's someone out there for everyone. Here are a few signs you can look for to figure out just how well you and your partner mesh together.
3 Reasons to Stay Single
There are plenty of benefits to being in a relationship, but there are just as many reasons for staying single.
9 Sexual Communication Tips
Talking about sex can be stressful, Here are nine helpful tips to make it easier.
Top 5 Gifts for Couples
Are you looking for something you can share with your partner? Check out these great recommendations to find something that you'll both love.
Top 5 Gifts for Him
Not sure what to get your man? Check out some of the top gift ideas from the guys at Adam & Eve.
Indulge in a little "me time"
Adam & Eve Adult Toys. Always Discreet, Free Shipping and Bonus Gifts.