10 Ridiculous Lady Laws That Are Still On The Books
Even though Paris is the fashion capitol of the world, it is still technically against the law for a woman to wear pants there. Someone should tell the police quick … they could have made a killing during Fashion Week. But seriously, how crazy is that? This ridiculous law has survived years of attempted upheaval. In 1892, the law was amended to say that trousers were permitted “as long as the woman is holding the reins of a horse.” In 1909, female cyclists were declared exempt. After a couple more attempts over the ages, I guess the ladies (and police) forgot the law even existed and went right on ahead breaking it by proudly rocking their pants. That got me thinking. What other crazy kinds of laws are there that we don’t even know about? Wait for this one. I discovered that here in New York a woman can incur $25 fine for flirting! Oops … I broke that law like a million times. After the jump, some more archaic lady laws that need to be repealed pronto. [Newser, Dumblaws]
- Are you a chocolate lover like me? Well, don’t ever go to the U.K. It is illegal for a lady to eat chocolates on a public conveyance. Anyone know what a conveyance is?
- In Kentucky, a woman may not buy a hat without her husband’s permission. In the home state of the Kentucky Derby? An outrage!
- Hide your vibrator if you live in Georgia. All sex toys are banned. Banned I tell you!
- We all know it is rather impolite to leave your housecoat on while driving. That’s why it’s illegal in California.
- Mothers in Ohio, you may want to stay home all the time if you have a hungry baby. It’s against the law to breastfeed in public.
- It pays to stay single in Turkey, where all married women must get their husbands’ permission if they wish to have a job. They must also live wherever the husband wishes to reside, and they must forfeit all jointly held assets upon divorce from their husbands. Sign me up!
- The kind people of Oklahoma don’t want your hair to look like crap. That’s why females are forbidden from doing their own hair without being licensed by the state.
- The state of Massachusetts supports sex … as long as it’s done missionary-style. A woman cannot be on top during sexual activities. Wait … can they sneak into your bedroom and arrest you? Now that should be illegal.