Today’s Lady News: Preacher Sentenced To 175 Years For Taking Girls As “Child Brides”
- Tony Alamo, a 75-year-old evangelist preacher, has been sentenced to 175 years in prison for taking underage girls as “child brides” and molesting them. Alamo apparently threatened the girls with “the loss of their salvation.” [NY Daily News]
- Some pregnant women are forgoing the H1N1 vaccine, saying they are more comfortable with holistic approaches, like acupuncture, yoga and “obsessive hand washing,” to fend off the swine flu. [Chicago Tribune]
- An 18-year-old female student at Loyola University recanted an allegation made this morning that she was sexually assaulted after drinking with three men in her dorm room last night. Police said she was being evaluated at a local hospital. [ChicagoBreakingNews.com]—I wonder if she was copycatting the young woman who lied about a gang rape at Hofstra.
- After months of debate, France has decided to oppose, but not outright ban, burquas and face-covering veils worn by Muslim women. [Reuters]
- British man Mark Shipley, who spent 22 years in prison for a “ritualistic murder,” has been charged with raping a woman at knife point for three-and-a-half hours only seven months after he was let out of jail. Why the HELL is someone who committed a “ritualistic murder” walking free on parole? [The Sun UK]
- In honor of “Sesame Street”‘s 40th anniversary this week, Feministing reminded us of Kami, an HIV positive muppet who lives on Sesame Street in Africa and teaches kids how it’s OK to hug someone with HIV. [Feministing]