The Top 10 Most Shocking Celebrity Breakups!
Justin Timberlake and Jessica Biel are reportedly donezo. Though nothing has been officially confirmed and the couple was seen together earlier this week, it would be a slightly shocking breakup, mostly for the alleged claim that Rihanna is JT’s other woman. After three years of on-again, off-again for Jessica and Justin, all it took was some sightings with the feisty singer to launch a truckload of rumors. [Terra] Though they might not be over IRL, it reminded us of some other shocking celebrity breakups!
- Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston. I’m sure you remember where you were in 2005, when it was announced that Brad Pitt and Jennifer Aniston were getting a divorce. The Hollywood golden couple seemed to have it all, from their $1 million wedding to their joint production company. We all know what happened next: Fiery Angelina Jolie sauntered over and upgraded Brad to the dark side. But even Jen didn’t know that Brad had cheated on her until vacation photos popped up months later. [CBS News]
- Jon and Kate Gosselin. Anyone who watched the early episodes of “Jon and Kate Plus 8″ knows that they always had problems. Sure, people surmised that Jon wasn’t happy because of the bickering and Kate’s blatant disregard for his right to speak, but it was still heart-breaking to watch their family fall apart on national television. All of Jon’s cheating and Ed Hardy-fueled grossness has turned Kate into a martyr, so we’ll have to see if Jon’s attempt to slow the divorce will help him “regain control over the future” of his family. [NY Daily News]
- Anne Hathaway and Rafaello Follieri. For about four years there, it looked like a page out of the “Princess Diaries” script … young actress meets charming, wealthy, handsome prince! Then it turned out that Follieri was a fraudulent prince and had been stealing millions by posing as a financial rep from the Vatican and buying Catholic properties for re-development. His bail is set at $21 million. Hathaway dumped him and moved back to Los Angeles. So much for happy endings! [Fanpop]
- Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe. After “Cruel Intentions,” the blond-haired, blue-eyed couple seemed happily married for seven years — and they had two beautiful children. Gossip mags speculated that Ryan started seeing actress Abbie Cornish while he was still married, but Ryan said it was, “far more complicated and far less interesting than it’s made out to be. To look and search for these salacious reasons, to pin it on a person, or a moment in someone’s life, it’s not realistic.” [People]
- Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey. They weren’t the best of couplings, but Jessica and Nick sure were cute together. The couple lasted three years and their early relationship was broadcast on MTV’s “Newlyweds: Nick and Jessica.” Sure, Jessica said really asinine things and Nick looked broody a lot, but if you saw them singing together on their Christmas special, you know they had potential for greatness. [People]
- Woody Allen and Mia Farrow. Though they weren’t married, Woody and Mia had been together for ten years and cared for several biological and adopted children. Their union was destroyed when it came out that Allen was having an affair with their adopted daugher, Soon-Yi Previn, saying “The heart wants what it wants.” In the aftermath, Farrow got custody and Allen married Previn and adopted two more daughters. [People]
- Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling. After watching them fall in love over and over again in “The Notebook,” their union was met with joy by fans. But after two breakups, it looks like we might have to wait for dementia to set in before the couple re-unites. They still speak fondly of each other, but Ryan says that his fans weren’t so pleased with him: “Women are mad at me, a girl came up to me on the street and she almost smacked me. Like, ‘How could you? How could you let a girl like that go?'” [People]
- Pamela Anderson and Kid Rock. OK, so they had a tumultuous relationship from the beginning, but when they finally got married in 2006, they did it at least three times! First, they got married on a boat in France, at a courthouse in Beverly Hills, then on a bar in Nashville (maybe?). The couple dated for about six years and got divorced after four months. This one was shocking just because they made a perfect little white trash couple, but now Pam’s just dating a guy she met in the trailer park. [Associated Content]
- Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. This one’s an oldie but goody. Tom and Nicole were married for ten years and adopted two kids before divorcing in 2001. Tom says the marriage was a “passionless hell” while Nicole said, “I felt it was my job to put on a beautiful dress and be seen and not heard.” It’s hard to remember the ’90s, but they were the power couple at the time — for them to have such awful things to say about their relationship is kind of heart-breaking! [Mirror]
- Barbie and Ken. Those guys at Mattel are total jerks! In 2004, they announced that after 43 years together, Barbie and Ken were splitting up and there might be an Australian boogie boarder named Blaine to blame. The couple’s business manager Russell Arons blamed “reluctance on Ken’s part to make their union official,” but apparently the couple parted on good terms. They had no comment. Obviously. [Life123] Seriously?! As if it doesn’t suck enough to be young these days. Why don’t we tell the kids that Santa was murdered and the Easter Bunny got caught smoking crack, too?