There’s no doubt about it. Getting laid off sucks. What happens next is the stereotypical lifestyle of depression, daytime television and sweatpants. This may be fine for a week or two, but after a while you will start to go crazy and feel disgusting.
We would never say, “Hey! Awesome! You lost your job!” Though, we do believe you can get something out of this time of unemployment for yourself. And if you look on the bright side, believe it or not, you might find yourself looking a whole lot hotter. After the jump, check out our suggestions.
- Concentrate on your skin. Since you’re not going to an office every day, you’re giving your skin a big break in two ways: 1.) You’re not constantly answering/making calls, meaning you’re keeping your face away from harmful phone bacteria; 2.) You don’t need to be wearing makeup on a daily basis. If you’re the type who slabs on some foundation five to six times a week, you’ll begin to notice a difference in your skin tone and brightness when you go without it for days at a time.
- Class up your beauty routine. Since you’re not wearing makeup as often (and thus replacing it as frequently), why not invest in something nice? For example, if your morning go-to is a bottle of Revlon foundation, why not opt for the Chanel instead? While this may sound a bit counter-intuitive, it might make you feel like you’re putting your money into something that matters a bit more.
- Go to the doctor. Take care of yourself. How many times have you put off going to the dermatologist or seeing a nutritionist because you just don’t have time to leave the office during the day?
- Work out. You have time during the day now, so also use it to take care of your body. Go out for a run. If you’re a yoga buff, look into community classes in your area, which often take place during the day and to which you might have previously said, “Awesome idea, pricey yoga studio, but I’ll never be able to make your $2 and 2 p.m. class.” Now you can! Sweating it out will also help improve your skin.
- Take advantage of the fact that you have time to choose outfits wisely. When you’re rushing straight from work to happy hour or an event, and there’s no time to change, you easily end up overdressed or just a bit sloppy from a day at the office. Take your time getting ready to go out, and enjoy the fact that you’ll look the freshest and most presentable of all your friends.