Maybe it’s that I was drinking—no, chugging—the Fashion’s Night Out Kool-Aid the other night, but, gotta say, getting out and about and shopping felt pretty damn good, though not in a “I’m slapping down my credit card” way. Anyways, I wasn’t the only one who turned up at H&M’s Herald Square store. Miss J. Alexander of “America’s Next Top Model” also attended. But he (or if you ask some of Miss J. superfans, whom I had the pleasure of meeting in the “ANTM” trenches — “she”) had more on her night’s agenda than just riffling through the racks for the perfect, red winter coat. (Though there were loads of people on line for the cash register with armloads of clothes!) Miss J. was giving runway strutting lessons. Man, did people just eat it up. The line to get some catwalking tips was—I kid you not—out the door and down the street. It was madness — sheer lunacy!
So how do you rock your thang down a runway? After the jump, a bunch of tips from the catwalk vet—and a few photos of her doing what she does best.
1. Heels are a must, ladies. You feel and actually do look sexier. One novice mistake—not roughing up the soles of a new pair of shoes and wiping out in front of rows and rows of people. Take a piece of sandpaper and scrub the soles of your shoes. You’ll be thankful you did when you hit a smooth marble floor.
2. Confidence is everything—if you don’t have a lick of it, fake it. Shoulders back, pelvis forward. A little self-confidence ups your hot factor by ten, honey.
3. Walk like it’s for sale and the rent is due tonight. AKA, put some oomph into it, kids. And always land on the balls of your feet.
4. Go with the staredown—and never, ever look at your feet (or even remotely close).
5. Keep your arms close to your body so that only your lower arms sway. Your hands and fingers should be relaxed—don’t death-grip your hands.
6. Foot in front of foot (as opposed to side by side). Take the center!