Lady News: Lil Mama Apologizes For What She Said About A Tranny
- Rapper Lil Mama issued an apology for a comment she made about trannies on MTV’s “America’s Best Dance Crew.” As a judge on the show, Mama chastised Leiomy Maldonado, a ‘transgender Beyonce,‘ and said, “Leiomy, come on. Your behavior…it’s unacceptable. I just feel that you always have to remember your truth. You were born a man and you are becoming a woman. If you’re going to become a woman, act like a lady.” After an LGBT group complained to her and MTV, Lil Mama apologized. [GLAADblog]
- Actress Hope Davis talked about how it takes a bangin’ makeup artist and a costumer to turn her into Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who she is playing in a biographical film about the Clintons and former British prime minister Tony Blair. “The pantsuits have been made exactly to spec. There are some bright pantsuits,” she said. [NYTimes]
- Tyler Perry will write, direct and produce an adaption of the play “For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf,” by Ntozake Shange, a series of 20 poems about black women’s experiences with love, domestic violence, and other issues. [Variety]
- Teachers in Britain lashed out at advertisers for contributing to the “sexualization” of children by “infiltrating” their lives with too-sexy toys. The National Union of Teachers said girls, pre-teen and teen girls suffer from “inappropriate” toys, tee shirts and lingerie, like Bratz dolls, padded bras, and shirts which say stuff like “So many boys, so little time.” NUT (not a good acronym, guys) advised the government to set up a commission to regulate the advertising industry and be more “socially responsible” for youngsters. [Guardian]
- The anti-gay marriage Family Research Council believes that no one applied for marriage licenses in Montpelier, VT, the day it became legal for gays to nosh Ben & Jerry’s Hubby Hubby ice cream as a happily married couple must mean gays don’t want to get married at all! It’s not “authentic marriage,” they say. [Family Research Council (via Feministing]
- A Muslim woman in Britain told the Daily Mail how her mother hired a hit man to kill her over disapproval of her lifestyle, whose mother and little brother threatened to kill her for dishonoring the family. They literally kept her imprisoned in her own house and eventually, when she ran away, her family cut off all contact with her. [Daily Mail]
- Will Diane Sawyer get the same backlash when she solo anchors ABC’s “World News” as Katie Couric did for “CBS Evening News”? One veteran TV news exec told the New York Times, “We’ll find out whether people don’t want to watch a woman anchor the news or whether they just didn’t want to watch Katie.” [NYTimes]—Let’s hope it’s the latter?
- The choreographer who said Donald Trump hand-picks six of the 15 pretty, pretty princesses to be finalists in the Miss Universe pageant so he can ensure his prettiest favorites get chosen is now doing damage control and saying, “I would never go on the record saying he has told me anything or that he’s orchestrating the results.” Still, the Miss Universe Organization told Fox News that Trump does handpick finalists himself. [Guanabee]—Gah. Everything about this man and his beauty pageants makes my head hurt.