Poor, poor Paula Abdul. Her time with “American Idol” has been over for barely 24 hours and the media could not wait to move on. The big announcement that Posh Spice will be making a guest-judge appearance is completely overshadowing the sadness of the Abdul-“Idol” split. I can’t help but give into the media frenzy and be super excited about Posh’s appearance, since it’s going to be totally awesome. Alas, it’s only temporary—for a single show. So I wonder, Who are they going to replace Paula with permanently? I guess there’s the chance that the judging panel will shrink down to three with Kara DioGuardi being the only lady in the pack. But I want someone new! Here’s who I think would make snug fits on the “American Idol” season nine judging panel.
- Debbie (sorry, Deborah) Gibson could easily fill the late ’80s/early ’90s pop-singer void.
- Fergie would obviously be able to maintain the high caliber of Abdul’s comments, since she seems pretty much wigged out all the time.
- Dolly Parton’s gonna need something to do since “9 to 5,” the musical she wrote and scored, is leaving Broadway. And talk about an American idol.
- Christina Aguilera hasn’t been up to much lately. Being a judge would be a great way for her to jump back into the main mix.
- Wait? Can’t we get a girl who truly rocks in the judging seat — what about Kim Deal of The Pixies and The Breeders? Since many of the contestants nowadays have drifted from mainstream pop and because she’s awesome.
- Gwen Stefani would be a positive and upbeat judge, like Paula always was.
- Linda Perry (formerly of 4 Non Blondes) is one of the most successful female writers and producers in the industry and would totally have an eye and ear for which contestants should move onto the next round.
- Kelly Osbourne could follow in her mom’s “America’s Got Talent” judging footsteps.
- Singer/songwriter Lisa Loeb’s show “No. 1 Single” on E! in 2006 was amazing and I’d give anything to see her back on TV.
- Kelly Clarkson would probably give better advice than anyone else, as a past winner herself.
So what do you think—will they replace Paula? And who will get her judge’s chair?