“Mad Men” Producers Tells January Jones To Gain Weight
Oh, to be in the cast of “Mad Men,” hanging around Don Draper, sporting gorgeous, well-made clothing, and gracing the only program on television where the actresses are encouraged to be voluptuous. January Jones, who plays Betty Draper on the show, had to be asked by the producers to gain weight. “I got told a couple of days ago that I look too skinny, and I was in trouble,” she said. “I’m naturally pretty thin, so I’m trying. I eat whatever is at craft services.” Since women had more meat on their bones in the ’60s, “Mad Men” actresses are asked to not work out. “They want a soft, voluptuous woman which they were [back then] which is beautiful, as it should be,” said Jones. [OK! Magazine]
How refreshing—I’ve been prepping for January’s role all my life! I happen to be an expert on the subject of gaining weight. So here are five ideas for how January can soften up.
- Hershey, Pennsylvania, is a chocoholic mecca—with chocolate fountains and Hershey light posts. The Hotel Hershey is one of my favorite places on earth. January, try spending the day at the Hershey Spa, getting a chocolate sugar scrub, chocolate fondue wrap, and whipped cocoa bath. I won’t lie — when no one was looking, I ate it all. Then head to the Circular Dining Room for chocolate flecked savory dishes, chocolate martinis, and a dessert list to kill for. [The Hotel Hershey]
- Food shows happen year-round, but there’s a convenient one only a week away in Anaheim, California, featuring “Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives” star Guy Fieri, so you know there will be lots of faux flame button-ups and face stuffing. To bulk up, you’ll have to visit every food booth and snap up samples. Thankfully, in the two day event, there will be plenty. [ABF Events]
- If you’ve got some money and time to spare, one of the best food spots in the world is Namja Town Sunshine City in Ikebukuro, Tokyo, which happens to be the world’s largest indoor theme park. It houses Gyoza Stadium and Ice Cream City! Ice cream is an ideal “softening agent.” When you think you’re full, it melts in your tummy and you can start over! At Ice Cream City, you’ll find every flavor you never knew existed, including sweet pea, ramen, rose, wasabi, soy sauce, and corn. [Japan Guide]
- Whenever I get really hungry and need some inspiration on what to feed my face, I go to food blogs. The best one is This is Why You’re Fat. Even though it’s supposed to gross me out, it is the porniest of food porn. A burger inside a jelly donut? Bacon Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup? Spam fries? Yes, please! [This Is Why You’re Fat]
- And if all this eating has kept you away from your loved ones, it might be time for Thanksgiving in July! Pull out the turducken, creamy mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, chestnut stuffing, pecan pie, buttered peas, sweet potatoes with marshmallows, and whatever else reminds you of home. ‘Cause there are never enough opportunities to celebrate thanks…or carbs.