“The Appallingly Sexist Origins of Facebook” Neither Appalling Nor Particularly Sexist
Come on, Double X, you’re just baiting us: With a headline like “The Appallingly Sexist Origins of Facebook,” we were expecting to be served some juicy dish that made Mark Zuckerberg, the 25-year-old founder of Facebook, look like a pig.
But Double X pulled snippets of purported douchebaggery from The Accidental Billionaires, an exposé about Facebook by Ben Mezrich, and it’s nothing more than admiring short skirts and some bikini-clad girls at frat parties. You know, really awful stuff.
Here’s what Double X called “appallingly sexist” Facebook behavior, after the jump:
- After a bad date, Zuckerberg wrote on his blog, “***** is a bitch. I need something to take my mind off her” … and allegedly, Facebook was born.
- Zuckerberg and his former Facebook colleague, Eduardo Saverin, 26, allegedly had sex with two girls in adjoining stalls in a bar bathroom once.
- After Facebook became famous, Zuckerberg knocked boots (allegedly) with a Victoria’s Secret model!
- In the early stages of Facebook, Zuckerberg allegedly “fantasize(d)” about putting girls’ pics next to pics of farm animals and asking people to vote on which one looks better. (OK, if that “fantasy” is true, that’s pretty screwed up.)
- Saverin allegedly once said, “It’s not that guys like me are generally attracted to Asian girls. It’s that Asian girls are generally attracted to guys like me.” (Also screwed up, if true.)
If this is the best The Accidental Billionaires can come up with to make Zuckerberg look like the biggest douche in Silicon Valley, it’s underwhelming. Double X, save the phrase “appallingly sexist” for another day. Zuckerberg called some girl a bitch? Slept around? They made some obnoxious comments? That’s not appalling sexism, that’s college. [Double X]