Hot Outta the Oven: How To Make a Cream Puff
Mmmm, we just love the smell of fresh pastries out of the oven. What better way to kick off a dinner party but with delicious cream puffs. You can fill them with cream or turn them into an appetizer using salmon or something else. Here is a recipe my mom just sent for the perfect cream puff, complete with her special batter for the filling and choclate sauce. Use, edit and enjoy! (Plus keeping these in your freezer will make you look like the best dessert chef when you pull them out for unexpected guests) The Basic Recipe
1 cup Flour
1 stick Butter(substitute for margarine or 50/50 butter blend)
pinch of salt and sugar.
Preheat oven for 375 degree
cover 8×13 baking pan with aluminum foil and spray lightly with Baking spray with Four.
1. Add 1cup of water, sliced butter (it will melt faster), salt and sugar, stir until melted, switch off heat.
2. Dump the flour in as soon as the water starts to boil.
3. Very important mix it vigorously with a wooden spoon until nothing sticks to bottom
4. Wisk adding one egg at the time to the mix until the dough becomes smooth but not liquid.
Shhhhh…short cut: at step 2, put into the mixer , set medium speed, let the mixer do step 4’s job for you, it’s a lot easier and smoother.
If you want to make an Eclaire instead; put the dough in the pastry bag and squeeze out 2 inch length, 2 inch separate.
For normal Puff; scoop out dollops using two spoons, put on the baking pan, 2 inch separate.
Bake until golden brown 25-30 minutes. Let them cool.
Here are three easy ways to dress them.
FIRST, cut puffs in half for filling.
1. Fill with Pastry Cream, sift some powdered sugar on top or dip in the chocolate sauce(only top part)
2. Fill with whipped cream(if you messed up with pastry cream), decorate with Kiwi, blueberry, strawberry,banana…whatever you have.
3. For an appetizer, put couple of slices of smoked salmon and sour cream(1-2 table spoon), pepper, drops of lemon juice, a little bit of dill and blend until smooth.
Stuff the mixture into the puff, decorate them with Caviar, radish, black olive…do what feels good.
The Pastry cream
In the sauce pan:
2 egg yolks
1 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons sugar
A little vanilla
Whisk them together and add a cup of milk. Add heat and stir until you see it start to boil then let it cool. (add more milk if the sauce is too thick)
The Chocolate sauce
In a glass bowl add:
1 cup of choclate chips
2-3 tablespoons of heavy cream
Run microwave for 4-5 mintues with moderate power, or until it melt, stir until shinny black.
(If the sauce looks too dark and not smooth, add more cream)