We live in a patriarchal society, where men lead and determine much of our what happens in our lives. But this isn’t the way it is in certain parts of the world. Argentinean writer Ricardo Coler spent two months living with the Mosuo in southern China, where it’s a matriarchy, and he spoke to Spiegel Online about the experience. Turns out, if men turned over their power to us, their lives would be way better (and ours would have differed pluses and minuses).
- They wouldn’t have to work as much.
- They could sleep with more than one woman without getting in trouble.
- They wouldn’t have to deal with raising kids or paying child support.
- They wouldn’t have to prove their manliness by getting into fights.
- They wouldn’t have to worry about outdoing each other with bigger and better possessions. In fact, they wouldn’t even own houses.
Really, I’m not making this stuff up. To see for yourself, read Coler’s Q&A. While I’m all for gender equality, I’m not sure I’d want to be completely in charge. Though I might be able to get used to it. [Der Spiegel]