Five Items From Winter You Can Wear This Summer
According to old school fashion rules, now that Memorial Day is upon us, we can dust off our bright whites without committing a fashion faux pas.
But the sort of thinking that declares a strict divide between summer and winter clothes is just too fussy for us—try these five of our favorite trends from the winter even as summer waxes on. Besides, we’ve never been sticklers for fashion rules anyway.
- Ankle Boots: You rocked ankle boots all winter in skinny jeans and skirts with woolly tights. Why should you look any less bad ass in ankle boots with a sun dress? Just remember to trade in the thick socks for the thin cotton variety. Your non-stinky and sweaty feet will thank you. [$147, Ash, BlueFly.com]
- Cashmere Scarf: You looked like a glamorous golden-age-of-Hollywood actress wrapped up in a cashmere scarf during the blustery winter. This summer, think of your luxe wrap as an alternative to a jean jacket or wrap it loosely around you neck so you get the chic look without a sticky neck. [$78, Kashmere, BlueFly.com]
- Draped Sweater: It is hot enough to cook an egg on the street outside, but your office AC is leaning towards Arctic. Beat the artificial chills by throwing your sweater over your skin-baring summer garb. A long-ish sweater with a mini or short shorts is uber relaxed-chic .[$187, YAYA AFLALO, BlueFly.com]
- Crochet Knits: The revived interest in fabric textures set our hearts aflutter last autumn. The leaves are back and so are your knitted fabrics. A crocheted skirt with a light airy top looks summery and edgy. [$129, Nanette Lepore, BlueFly.com]
- Cropped Jackets: Maybe it’s because of the recession, but designers were cutting back everything this winter, especially hemlines. Out came the scissors and suddenly everything was cropped. While cropped jackets might have led equaled cold tummies in the winter, these minis now equal a cute alternative the usual jean jacket. [$155.99, Nanette Lepore, BlueFly.com]