Former “Price Is Right” host Bob Barker is on tour and signing his new memoir, Priceless Memories. [TMZ] — Although we spent countless sick days glued to his show, we’re not gonna read 256 pages about the dude. So, here are four facts that we’re sure will be in the book, and three that we bet will be conveniently left out.
- He’s A War Hero And Hoopster. Before he ever got shot by a camera, Bobby B. practiced dodging bullets while training to be a Navy fighter pilot during WWII. [Bookpage] And he shot hoops on a basketball scholarship at Drury College in Missouri. [Drury.edu]
- He’s A Rebel With A Cause. After decades of coloring his hair to fit game show host standards, in 1997 Bob publicly dissed the dye as it was tested on little furry animals. After 51 years on television, he was mighty silver by the end. Now, he’s credited with trail-blazing the gray trend for TV men. [Answers]
- He Hearts Animals. Bob credits Dorothy Jo, his high school sweetheart-turned-wife of 36 years, for inspiring him to become a vegetarian. After 20 years, he quit hosting the Miss USA pageants when they refused to remove fur prizes. [People]
- He’s A Lover And A Fighter. Chuck Norris trained Bob Barker in karate. [Next Round] Barker jumped at the chance to show off his skills and beat the crap out of Adam Sandler in “Happy Gilmore.” [imdb]
And Three We Bet He’ll Gloss Over In His Tome:
- He’s Been Accused Of Sexual Harassment. Going by names, you’d assume the perv on the show would be announcer Rod Roddy. But in 1994, Dian Parkinson filed a sexual harassment suit against Barker, saying she was forced to hook up with him in order to keep her job emoting for Showcase Showdowns. Bob admitted they had some “hanky-panky” but that Dian left the show because of a catfight with fellow Barker’s Beauty Janice Pennington. [Hard Copy] — Yuck. Let’s call a spade a spade. And I’m not talking about pet neutering.
- He Likes His Beauties Skinny. Bob Barker fired spokesmodel Holly Hallstrom when she gained 14 pounds while taking a new medication. [Today Show] — Forget the weight, it’s clear who’s the biggest loser.
- And He’s Allegedly Racist. In 2005, Bob Barker retired early — on the same day African-American model Debbie Curling resigned. Coincidence? I think not! Ms. Curling filed a civil rights suit against the host after he allegedly limited the number of black guests and made racist remarks on the set. Rumor has it after that CBS finally kicked Barker to the curb. [Pop Crunch] — L8R H8R!