“Guiding Light” Axed After 72 Years: We Look Back at the Careers It Launched.
“Guiding Light” is old. Like, as old as your grandparents. It started out as a radio serial in 1937 and made the jump to television in 1952. But after 72 years, CBS is axing the show because, well, no one’s watching anymore. After the jump, a look back at the celebs who got their big breaks on the “Light.”
- Hayden Panettiere. Milo Ventimiglia’s ex wasn’t even in kindergarten when she got her first role on “GL.” When she was five, she played Lizzie Spaulding, a girl dying from leukemia. If only she had her “Heroes” invincibility back then.
- Kevin Bacon. Want to know why Kevin is the six degrees of separation guy? Because “Guiding Light” connects him to so many freaking people. He played TJ Werner in six episodes in 1980 and 1981.
- Mira Sorvino. Ahh, can we take a second to worship “Romy and Michelle’s High School Reunion?” Mira’s first regular acting role was playing Julie Camalletti on the “Light” in 1991.
- Taye Diggs. Before he helped Stella get her groove back (and gave us one of the best shower butt scenes), this hot hottie played Adrian “Sugar” Hill in 1997. Sugar, indeed.
- Calista Flockhart. The soon-to-be-wife of Harrison Ford got her start with a super bit role on “Guiding Light.” She played a babysitter named Elise. Yep, the part was so small she didn’t even get a fake last name.
- Christopher Walken. In the mid 1950s, far before he was making movies like “Hairspray” and “Wedding Crashers” or even “The Deer Hunter,” Sir Walken switched off with his twin brother, Glenn, playing the role of Mike Bauer on “GL.”
- James Earl Jones. 11 years before he became Darth Vader, James Earl Jones’ baritone could be found on the “Guiding Light” soundstage. He played ‘Dr. Jim Frazier #2′ in 1966. Makes us wonder what happened to Dr. Frazier #1.