Anne Hathaway Steps In Judy Garland’s Ruby Slippers
Anne Hathaway has been cast as Judy Garland in a film and stage adaptation of the book, Get Happy: The Life of Judy Garland. We’re like gay dudes when it comes to Garland. Love that deep-throated drama queen! Peep five juicy factoids from her fabulous life…
- Drugged Out: Judy’s wicked witch of a stage mom and that evil MGM studio kept poor 13-year-old Judy on a steady stream of amphetamines and barbiturates to make her work long hours and to lose weight. [Encyclopedia Brittanica] Perhaps it didn’t sound as astronomically stupid then as it does now?
- Tubed Her Boobs: As a 16-year-old, Garland was by no means a munchkin. She had to bind her breasts to appear much younger as Dorothy in “The Wizard of Oz.” [Biography] What, did they think her boobs would fly over the rainbow?
- Husband/Daddy Complex?: One of the five men who Garland married was her director Vincente Minnelli (father of Liza), who like her own papa, had a history of homosexuality. [EW] Toto, something tells me we’re not in Kansas anymore.
- Liver Probs: While working in Vegas towards the end of her career, Garland collapsed and was diagnosed with hepatitis. [TCM.com] Unfortunately, her diseased liver couldn’t stay in Vegas.
- Rites On: Judy Garland died of a drug overdose in London at age 47. For the viewing of her body, thousands attended to pay homage. She was dressed in gray chiffon and silver slippers, which hopefully looked as lovely as the ruby ones. [New York Times]