Eight Things To Give Up For Lent
Yesterday was Mardi Gras, or “Fat Tuesday.” That means today is Ash Wednesday, or the first day of Lent. Since I’m not Catholic this all is a bunch of mumbo jumbo to me, but I did attend Mardi Gras three straight years in a row, and while I don’t get my forehead swiped by a priest on Ash Wednesday, I do try and give up something “bad” for Lent, which lasts for 40 days and 40 nights, until Easter. But forget about giving up lame stuff like carbs and sugar and sex — after the jump, 10 bad things you really should consider ditching for Lent. Or permanently.1. Drunk Facebooking: Do not post ridiculous messages on your crush’s wall, do not send cryptically nasty messages to your ex, and do not post status messages like, “Uhhh, so drunk and horny.”
2. Whining About Your Job: Seriously, you’re lucky to have one.
3. Excessively Trashy TV: Sure, finish off this season of “The Bachelor.” But do you really need to waste your Wednesday night on “The Real World: Brooklyn”?
4. Pedicures: Look, it’s cold out. No one sees your toes. Spending $15 a week on a pedicure no one sees or cares about is silly. Save the moolah for sandal weather.
5. That Third Diet Coke: This one is kind of for me. I should probably give up all DC, but The Frisky would not be what it is without my DC addiction, but the third can at 4pm is excessive.
6. That 4th Glass Of Red Wine: See above.
7. Unsafe Sex: You should give this one up permanently. Consider Lent yet another reason to start using condoms.
8. Your Weird Nervous Habit: Mine is feet picking. Some people bite their nails. Others grind their teeth. Cut. It. Out.