They’re sexy and flattering. They boost your confidence and your height. They make kissing a tall man easier. Sure, we might hate high heels after wearing them all day, but we’ll still put them on the next day. After the jump, 10 notable facts about the amazing, elevating shoe.1. A new report indicates that on average, women begin wearing at age 12 and continue doing so until they’re 63.
2. High heels for women are believed to have originated with Catherine de Medici, a 16th century Italian noblewoman who was short in stature and wanted to make a bigger impression when she arrived in France to marry the future King Henry.
3. Christian Louboutin’s red soles are a registered trademark of the brand.
4. Altocalciphilia is the condition of having a high heel fetish, as in “Carrie Bradshaw had a borderline case of altocalciphilia.”
5. Jimmy Choos have been referenced in songs by Hilary Duff, Shyne,Pitbull, Clipse, Sway, 50 Cent, and Chester French.
6. 80 craftsmen will touch one pair of Stuart Weitzman heels during the 6 to 7 weeks of production time it takes to make them.
7. The Guinness World Record for most people running in high heeled shoes is 155.
8. Roger-Henri Vivier is credited with inventing (or at least re-popularizing) the stiletto heel in the 1950s.
9. Former Philippine First Lady Imelda Marcos owned 1,200 pairs of shoes.
10. Despite all of cutbacks during World War II, high shoes were very in style. Designers created tall, uplifting heels using materials that weren’t rationed, like wood straw and snakeskin.