Who Is Fatima Bhutto, Anyway?
George Clooney has always been a bit of a ladies man. The self-proclaimed eternal bachelor — who has vowed to never, ever, ever marry — has dated a slew of Hollywood starlets and pretty, young unknowns. Renee Zellweger, Lisa Snowdon, Krista Allen, and, most recently, Sarah Larson, have all spent quality time with the actor, but none of them have actually stuck. But could all that be changing now that Clooney has apparently been flirting outside of Hollywood? Rumor has it, Clooney is dating Fatima Bhutto, 26, the Afghan born poet and writer, who is also the niece of slain Pakastani politician Benazir Bhutto, who was assassinated last year. So what do we know about the accomplished Miss Bhutto? More, after the jump…1. She got her higher education in the United States and in the United Kingdom. Bhutto got her Bachelor’s in Middle Eastern Studies at Barnard College of Columbia University in New York City and received her Masters in South Asian Studies at the University of London.
2. Though she comes from a longtime politically active family — in addition to Benazir Bhutto, her grandfather is former Prime Minister Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, and her maternal grandfather was a former Afghanistan’s Foreign Affair official — and is eligible to become Prime Minister of Pakistan, Fatima has no interest. She says writing poems, stories, and newspapers articles about her country is her way of being involved. She’s also said, “I don’t believe in birth-right politics. I don’t think, nor have I ever thought, that my name qualifies me for anything.”
3. This might have something to do with the tragedy that surrounds her family being involved in politics. Obviously, Benazir Bhutto was assasinated last year, but Fatima’s father, Murtaza — Benazir’s brother — was killed by Pakastani police after Bhutto was elected Prime Minister in 1996. Fatima and her stepmother believed Benazir Bhutto had a hand in his death. After Bhutto’s death last year, Fatima wrote in her newspaper column:
“My aunt and I had a complicated relationship. That is the sad truth…. In death, perhaps there is a moment to call for calm. To say enough … We cannot, and will not, take this madness any more.”
4. So with politics out of the question, Fatima has always been a writer, and her first book of poetry, Whispers In The Desert, was published when she was only 15. In 2006, 8.50 a.m. 8 October 2005, a collection of stories about the 2005 earthquake that killed 73,000 people in Kashmir, was published. She also writes a column for The News newspaper in Pakistan.
5. She still lives with her mom, sort of. Fatima and her half-brother live with her stepmother in Karachi, so the relationship with Clooney is decidedly long-distance.
6. Hey look! Fatima Bhutto has a column on The Daily Beast today about Pakistan possibly forcing a rape victim to drop her case.
7. Oh yeah, George Clooney’s publicist is denying the rumor that the pair is dating, but given The National Enquirer’s recent track record of getting their stories, um, right, we’re going to go against trend and take Stan Rosenfield’s denial with a grain of salt!