10 Things You Didn’t Know About RuPaul
Ladies and Gentlemen, start revving your engines because tonight, RuPaul is coming back to television thanks to LOGO and World of Wonder Productions. The glitter glamazon knows how to work it and now she’ll be sharing her secrets of success with the next generation of supermodels on a reality game show called “RuPaul’s Drag Race.” It’ll be a fierce fight to the finish! My DVR is already set to record the Ru at 10pm tonight, but don’t worry, if you’re a broke ass ho who spent all her money on lip gloss and hot pants and therefore can’t afford cable, you can still watch the whole first episode for free here. In the meantime, check out these ten things you didn’t know about the Queen….. 1. One of the few drag stars using his real name, RuPaul’s mother declared her choice back in the hospital by quipping, “’His name is RuPaul Andre Charles and he’s gonna be a star! Cause ain’t another mother f**ker alive with a name like that!’”
2. In ninth grade, Ru was given the superlatives “Best Afro” and “Best Dancer” at Gompers Junior High School.
3. Right after he received his GED, RuPaul worked as a used luxury car salesman. He drove around the country picking up and delivering the hot wheels. Maybe that was his inspiration for the title “Drag Race?”
4. In January 1982, RuPaul made his first television appearance on “The American Music Show,” which aired on public access. His singing group was called “RuPaul and the U-hauls” and they performed “Shotgun” by Junior Walker and the All Stars. RuPaul, of course, made his two backup singers their costumes. As her career was gearing up , RuPaul worked as a short order cook (like Lafayette from “True Blood”) while she began playing and dancing at New York City clubs.
5. After starring as Riff Raff in a successful Atlanta theater production of “Rocky Horror Picture Show,” RuPaul packed up a van with the now notorious club DJ Larry Tee and La Homa (who directed him in the original ”Starrbooty”) and headed back to New York City.
6. In 1990, RuPaul was voted the “Queen of Manhattan” by the downtown club glitterati.
7. On his 32nd birthday, November 17, 1992, RuPaul released the biggest hit of his carerer, “Supermodel.” Work it, girl! And in 1995, MAC cosmetics made RuPaul their cover girl and she lived up to her song by becoming the first drag queen supermodel for reals.
8. RuPaul is a doll, in every sense of the word. An action figure has been made in her likeness! Another fun factt? The outfits were designed by the couturier of Michelle Obama’s inauguration gown, Jason Wu.
9. Speaking of the Obamas, Ru makes a beautiful Michelle…and a pretty dashing Barack! Just check out this political holiday card!
10. RuPaul once had a cameo on, of all shows, “Walker, Texas Ranger.” She clearly loves cowboys.