2008, for all its Debbie Downers, had some of the hottest dance music and videos! Since MTV won’t play them, WE WILL! From fantastical geometric landscapes to sonic glam ninjas, here are The Frisky’s picks for the Best Music Videos of the Year:
1. Empire of the Sun, “Walking On A Dream”: This Australian outfit is arguably the sweetest current glam band. Their decadence and their dance hooks are so catchy, we actually miss the ’80s!
2. David Byrne and Dizzy Rascal, “Toe Jam”: Silly naked fun!
3. N.E.R.D., “Everyone Nose”: The sexy photo blog style is like the music video version of Last Nights Party.
4. Katy Perry, “Hot n’ Cold”: While Katy is better known for “I Kissed A Girl,” this video which features jilted brides with baseball bats is still more fun.
5. Gnarls Barkley, “Going On”: The classic get down dance circle.
6. She & Him, “Why Do You Let me Stay Here”: Surrounded by swooning animated birds like she’s Cinderella, Zoe Dechanel is the cutest!
7. Ra Ra Riot, “Dying is Fine”: After the loss of a band member, the ensemble comes to terms with the circle in this awesome video about the tree of life.
8. Britney Spears, “Womanizer”: She’s naked…again. But this time the director of photography isn’t the paparazzi.
9. N.E.R.D., Julian Casablancas, Santogold, “My Drive Thru”: Okay, so the song was totally contrived for Converse, but the track is awesome and the photocopy paper doll performers are an amazingly creative visual.
10. MGMT, “Time To Pretend”: The track of the year with a graphic that multiplies like their fan base.
11. TV On the Radio, ”Golden Age”: Considered by many to be the album of the year, this is the Brooklyn band that can and has over and over again. This is a beautiful video with positive imagery like cops shooting rainbows.
12. TV On the Radio, “Dancing Choose”: A video so nice we put this band down twice. This short is a visual caucophony of hypnotic black and white.
13. Duffy, “Mercy”: Duffy does it like Nancy Sinatra with a hip shake and men dancing at her feet.
14. Pink, “So What”: Divorce is a bitch and so is Pink in this hilarious video.
15. The Dandy Warhols, “Mission Control”: Outerspace makes for a video that’s outta sight!
According to TMZ, four-fingered former baseball player Jose Canseco says that on his upcoming reality show, “Spend The Day With Jose,” he’ll be showing his support for Caitlyn Jenner by “living as a woman” for a week. While it’s nice and all that Canseco is supportive of Jenner and her recent gender transition, my first instinct upon seeing…
Young women: femininity is powerful. Your speech patterns are powerful. The slang and vocal patterns of teenage girls are so powerful that they’ve been dissected and analyzed by linguistic scientists: uptalk, vocal fry, even the “Valley Girl” stereotype all point to specific speech patterns utilized by some women. A piece published in The Guardian yesterday…