This year has been sort of a Debbie Downer. From the stock market slump, to the shocking death of Heath Ledger, to the lame duck President’s reversal of medical rights last week, things have been looking pretty glum. But I’m ready for a clean slate! So, for those of you who are with me and SO over ye ole ’08, here are 10 things to look forward to in 2009:
1. Going To Bed With Jimmy Fallon: The former “Saturday Night Live” star will get his own late night show in Spring ’09. He’s taking over Conan’s slot and the giant ginger is moving on down into Jay Leno’s time.
2. “The L Word”‘s six season premieres January 18. Creator Ilene Chaikin swears it’s the last season on Showtime, but no worries. The gorgeous gayelles of L.A. are moving to the web and one lucky character is even getting a spin off!
3. New Music From Old Favorites: U2, Morrissey, Eminem, Portishead, Tori Amos, Jamiroquai, Hot Chip, OutKast and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs all plan on releasing records in 2009. Plus, No Doubt will reunite for a tour! So, this new year will definitely rock!
4. A Stop To The H8: The California State Supreme Court will start hearing arguments against Prop 8, which bans gay marriage, as early as March.
5. Comic Con: It’s the best place to meet your favorite characters as well as a nerd to love. You can share limited edition plastic-wrapped collectibles and so much more! New York and San Francisco will both host their coast in February.
6. Biggie Lives! Okay, just in the movies. But “Notorious,” a biopic about 90’s rap icon, the Notorious B.I.G., will be out in theaters February 9th. They held auditions nationwide for a doppelganger to fill Big Poppa’s shoes and his son will play him as a young man. East side!
7. Fashion Week Runway Shows: Designers will show their Fall ’09 collections February 13-20. There will be plenty of new dreamy designs to ogle…and knock off.
8. Outer Space Awesomeness: So, 2009 marks the 400th anniversary of Galileo looking at the cosmos and the birth of astronomy. Plus, in the
”Year of International Astronomy,” a satellitebuilt in Kentucky will be launched in May. Students around the world will be able to give it commands and then download the data recovered. Amazing! But the biggest space news is the Spring testing scheduled for a new kind of space shuttle: the Ares I-X.
9. ”Twilight”: Part 2: The second installment of the “Twilight” movies, “New Moon,” is scheduled to hit theaters in the fall.
10. Obama Nation: Last, but certainly NOT least, Obama rocked the vote, and now he’s going to rock the boat in Washington! In T-minus 29 days, he will be sworn in as President.