Our 10 Favorite Friendship Songs
True friends understand you best and offer a solution or just a strong shoulder when life is at its worst. And they’re usually the first to celebrate with you when life is wonderful. But unfortunately, most songs are about trials of the heart not friendship. So we put together a list of our favorite friendship songs. After reading through the lyrics, call up your best homegirl and let us know in the comments which songs remind you of her.
10. “Take a minute girl come sit down and tell us what’s been happening. In your face I can see the pain don’t you try to convince us that you’re happy.”–“Girl,” Destiny’s Child
It’s really difficult to hide things from the friends that know you best. And even though they can seem annoying at the time, they really have your best interest at heart.
9. “No one could ever know me. No one could ever see me, since you’re the only one who knows what it’s like to be me. Someone to face the day with. Make it through all the best with.”–“I’ll Be There for You,” The Rembrandts
It’s no wonder the producers of “Friends” picked this as the theme song. It really captures the essence of the show.
8. “And when I’m scared, and losing ground, when my world is going crazy, you can turn it all around. And when I’m down you’re there, pushing me to the top. You’re always there, giving me all you’ve got.”–“I Turn to You,” Christina Aguilera
Okay, so this song can be about anyone from a best friend to a lover to her parents, but that’s what makes it special. Anyone that truly has your back is a friend, indeed.
7. “When the night has come and the land is dark and the moon is the only light we’ll see, no I won’t be afraid, no I won’t be afraid just as long as you stand, stand by me.”–“Stand By Me,” Ben E. King
This song will forever conjure scenes from the film “Stand By Me,” in which for boys go on a quest to find a dead body, but learn the true meaning of friendship.
6. “Keep smilin’, keep shinin’, knowin’ you can always count on me, for sure, that’s what friends are for. For good times and bad times, I’ll be on your side forever more. That’s what friends are for.”–“That’s What Friends Are For,” Dionne Warwick
Dionne explained friendship quite well in this song, so there really isn’t much more to say.
5. “If there is a load you have to bear that you can’t carry, I’m right up the road. I’ll share your load if you just call me.”–“Lean On Me,” Bill Withers
A good friend will come to your aid at a moment’s notice.
4. “I’ll reach out my hand to you. I’ll have faith in all you do. Just call my name and I’ll be there.”–“I’ll Be There,” Jackson 5
The Jackson 5 and Bill Withers would have made the best of buds.
3. “It must have been cold there in my shadow, to never have sunlight on your face. You were content to let me shine, that’s your way. You always walked a step behind. So I was the one with all the glory, while you were the one with all the strength. A beautiful face without a name for so long. A beautiful smile to hide the pain.”–“Wind Beneath My Wings,” Bette Midler
Sometimes a friendship works best when there is a symbiotic relationship between the one who shines and the one who provides support.
2. “On the dresser sits a frame with a photograph, two little girls in ponytails some twenty one years back. She left one night with just a nod, was lost from some back alley job. I close my eyes and Sally’s pigeons fly.”–“Sally’s Pigeons,” Cyndi Lauper
Most of us have a childhood friend that we still keep in touch with, unfortunately, Cyndi’s friend died from an illegal abortion.
1. “Thank you for being a friend. Traveled down the road and back again. Your heart is true your a pal and a confidant. And if you through a party, invited everyone you ever knew, you would see the biggest gift would be from me and the card attached would say thank you for being a friend.”–“Thank You for Being a Friend,” Adam Gold
I just had to put the entire lyrics for the “Golden Girls” theme song because it completely expresses the gratitude we have for our friends.