As the whole world knows by now, Lindsay Lohan was spotted last Thursday wearing a diamond-encrusted, heart-shaped ring on her left ring finger, fueling rumors that she plans to marry girlfriend Samantha Ronson. Celebrity engagements — and, more importantly, celebrity engagement ring — fascinate us commoners. Because we live vicariously through our favorite celebs, and we’re not ashamed to admit it, dammit! So we decided to take a trip down memory lane to ogle the most notable engagement rings in history.
10. Catherine Zeta-Jones’ engagement to Michael Douglas was sealed with a 10-carat, antique marquise diamond estimated at almost $2 million.
9. Prince Phillip gave Queen Elizabeth II an engagement ring that was made of diamonds from his mother’s tiara.
8. Paris Hilton received a pair of diamond engagement rings from billionaire Paris Latsis, a $5 million, 24-carat, canary diamond ring and a $2.1 million, 15-carat, white diamond ring. (Since they never married, I wonder if she gave the rings back. Somehow, I doubt it.)
7. Britney Spears bought herself a $40,000, 4-carat, cushion-cut diamond ring with a platinum pave setting before her wedding to Kevin Federline. Oh, well.
6. Jordan Bratman engaged Christina Aguilera with a $54,000, 20-carat, diamond engagement ring designed by Stephen Webster.
5. Princess Diana’s engagement ring consisted of an 18-carat, blue oval sapphire that was circled by fourteen diamonds.
4. Jay-Z gave Beyonce an 18-carat, emerald-cut diamond wedding ring designed by Lorraine Schwartz and valued at more than $5 million. (The poor girl never had an engagement ring because she and Jay tried to keep their nuptials a secret. For what reason? Who knows.)
3. Michael Todd, Elizabeth Taylor’s third husband, engaged her with a with an emerald-cut diamond ring that weighed almost 30-carats.
2. Jennifer Lopez’s 6-carat, pink diamond ring with three baguette white diamonds and a platinum band from Ben Affleck is probably the most famous engagement ring in recent history. It was purchased for $1.2 million.
1. Grace Kelly received a 12-carat, emerald-cut diamond engagement ring from Prince Rainier — not bad for a princess.