The 10 Commandments Of Man Bags
It used to be that the only “bag” a man would carry was a briefcase, and maybe a shopping bag if he bought something on his way home. Then came the metrosexual and that awesome Friends episode where Joey gets a man bag. Joey and any other guy who dared carry a bag were made fun of. These days, we have so many portable electronic devices that men might actually need some sort of vessel to put their computers, iPods, cameras, etc. in when transporting them from home to office and so forth. Unfortunately, some have taken the wearing of this accessory too far. Gentlemen, there are rules!
- Thou shalt not wear a backpack on a date, unless it is a hiking date.
- Thou shalt not carry a bag with a short strap (so the bag is tucked under your arm).
- Thou shalt only carry a leather computer bag if it is absolutely necessary and if there is actually a computer inside.
- Thou shalt not purposefully match a bag to an outfit.
- Thou shalt not carry a bag that is more expensive than the one your date is carrying.
- Thou shalt only carry a tote bag if you are in fact toting something.
- Though shalt not carry a clutch, unless it is ours and we have asked you to hold it for a brief period of time.
- Thou shalt not refer to a bag you carry as a “murse” — “bag” will suffice.
- Thou shalt stay away from any bags that have huge designer labels on them.
- Thou shalt be man enough to carry a bag if you have things that need to be carried that won’t fit into your pockets (it’s a little annoying when you always ask us to put your stuff in our purses).