15 Female Empowerment Breakup Songs
We’ve all been through a breakup at some point, and oftentimes, there’s one song that gets you through the crying spells or fits of anger. Since listening to a sappy, sad “Take Me Back” song is not productive, we’ve compiled a list of 15 breakup songs that actually empower women. And contrary to intern Leigh’s advice on How To Save Face During A Breakup, only one threatens violence. We even have a classic told from the perspective of a man being kicked out. Tell us your favorite breakup songs in the comments section.1. “Tell me how should I feel when I know what I know and my female intuition telling me you a dog? People told me ’bout the flames I couldn’t see through the smoke. When I need answers, accusations what you mean you gone choke? You can’t stay, you gotta go. Ain’t no other chick spending your dough. This is taking a toll. The way the story unfolds, not the picture perfect movie everyone would’ve saw.” — “Ring the Alarm,” Beyonce
She’s a tad materialistic in this song, but it’s our generation’s “I Will Survive.” Bey is taking matters into her own hands and kicking out a cheating boyfriend, and if he doesn’t leave, she’ll put in a call to someone who will make him leave.
2. “I’m gettin tired of your s–t. You don’t never buy me nothin’. See every time you come around you got to bring Jim, James, Paul and Tyrone. See why can’t we be by ourselves, sometimes? See ‘Ive been having this on my mind for a long time. I just want it to be you and me like it used to be, baby. But ya don’t know how to act. So matter of fact…” — “Tyrone,” Erykah Badu
I’m sure you’ve sung this song at the top of your lungs at some point, even if you haven’t dated an entire posse. This is definitely a breakup classic.
3. “Go on now, go. Walk out the door, just turn around now ’cause you’re not welcome anymore. Weren’t you the one who tried to hurt me with goodbye? Did you think I’d crumble? Did you think I’d lay down and die? Oh no, not I. I will survive. As long as I know how to love I know I will stay alive. I’ve got all my life to live. I’ve got all my love to give and I’ll survive. I will survive.” — “I Will Survive,” Gloria Gaynor
I probably didn’t even need to give you all the lyrics to this classic. Gloria Gaynor is my heroine because not only is she able to get over her lover, but she also knows that falling in love again is possible.
4. “I never ask for more than I deserve. You know it’s the truth. You seem to think you’re god’s gift to this earth. I’m tellin’ you…no way. You ought to be thankful for the little things, but little things are all you seem to give. You’re always puttin’ off what we could do today. Soap opera says you’ve got one life to live. Who’s right, who’s wrong?” — “What Have You Done For Me Lately,” Janet Jackson
It seems Janet has been telling her guy to step it up, but he’s too lazy. Take note guys: A relationship can get boring and old really fast.
5. “‘Cause the joke that you laid in the bed that was me and I’m not gonna fade as soon as you close your eyes, and you know it. And every time I scratch my nails down someone else’s back, I hope you feel it. Well, can you feel it?” — “You Oughta Know,” Alanis Morissette
Dang, Alanis. I’d be a little scared if I was Dave Coulier — that’s the guy she’s singing to.
6. “Friday night you and your boys went out to eat. Then they hung out, but you came home around three, yes, you did. If six of y’all went out, ah, then four of you were really cheap, yeah. ‘Cause only two of you had dinner, I found your credit card receipt.” — “It’s Not Right But It’s OK,” Whitney Houston
Whitney snoops just like Amelia. Good thing Ms. Houston found out the truth about this cheater.
7. “Love is gone. There’s no sense in holding on. And your pity now would be more than I could bare. But I’m gonna be strong and pretend I don’t care.” — “I’m Gonna Be Strong,” Cyndi Lauper
That’s right Cyndi, save face and don’t let him see you cry.
8. “So go ahead and get gone. Call up that chick, and see if shes home. Oops I bet you thought, that I didn’t know. What did you think I was putting you out for? Because you was untrue. Rolling her around in the car that I bought you. Baby, drop them keys. Hurry up, before your taxi leaves.” — “Irreplaceable,” Beyonce
Well, Bey has something to get off her chest. Both of her songs on this list were on the same album. Snaps to her for not only having the strength to kick dude out for cheating, but she also repossesses his car. I hope he has cab money!
9. “We’re losing control. Will you turn me away or touch me deep inside? And before this gets old, will it still feel the same? There’s no way this will die. But if we get much closer, I could lose control. And if your heart surrenders, you’ll need me to hold.” — “Love Is A Battlefield,” Pat Benatar
Pat is letting her guy decide if they break up, but this song has good advice: Love takes work and a little fight.
10. “Hush, just stop. There’s nothing you can do or say, baby. I’ve had enough. I’m not your property as from today, baby. You might think that I won’t make it on my own. But now I’m…Stronger than yesterday. Now it’s nothing but my way. My loneliness ain’t killing me no more. I’m stronger.” — “Stronger,” Britney Spears
Many women have let fear of loneliness keep them in an unhealthy relationship. I’m glad to see Brit Brit is not one of them, if only on wax.
11. “It used to be so easy living here with you. You were light and breezy and I knew just what to do. Now you look so unhappy, and I feel like a fool. And it’s too late, baby, now it’s too late. Though we really did try to make it (we can’t make it). Something inside has died and I can’t hide. And I just can’t fake it.” — “It’s Too Late,” Carol King
She’s cutting her losses and running. Why should anyone stay in a relationship that is clearly not working? In this case, “Fake it ’til you make it” doesn’t apply.
12. “Sometimes, some lies can take a minute to fully realize. His tears. Your eyes. Thirty seconds to apologize. You give it one more chance, just like the time before. But he already know you’d give a hundred more. Until that night in bed you wake up in a sweat. You’re racing to the door can’t take it anymore.” — “Lesson Learned,” Alicia Keys
Sometimes it’s hard to see what is right in front of us or maybe we ignore it. But at some point the lie will become too much to cope with, and then we learn from our experiences.
13. “Once I had a love and it was divine. Soon found out I was losing my mind. It seemed like the real thing but I was so blind. Mucho mistrust, love’s gone behind.” — “Heart of Glass,” Blondie
People lie, which makes it hard to tell if love is the real thing. We also lie to ourselves, equally complicating relationships.
14. “I can’t keep on lovin’ you one foot outside the door. I hear a funny hesitation of a heart that’s never really sure. Can’t keep on tryin’ if you’re looking for more than all that I could give you. Then what you came here for?”–“Almost Doesn’t Count,” Brandy
You should never be with someone that thinks you’re not enough.
15. “(Hit the road, Jack and don’t you come back no more.) Woah, Woman, oh woman, don’t treat me so mean. You’re the meanest old woman that I’ve ever seen. I guess if you said so I’d have to pack my things and go. (That’s right.)”–“Hit the Road Jack,” Ray Charles
When a woman wants you out, name calling will not change her mind.