Yesterday, Amelia noticed something different about Ali Lohan’s physique, so that got me thinking about how breasts, or a lack thereof, can affect a young starlet’s rise to fame. Here’s a list of celebs whose breasts have affected their careers.
- Soleil Moon Frye is best known for her role as Punky in the television sitcom Punky Brewster. When she was 16, Soleil had breast reduction surgery, going from 36DD to 34C because she had back problems. But knowing our culture, I think she also wanted to be taken seriously as an actress and later as a director.
- To me, Raven-Symone represents a normal body size. She has curves that are proportional to her height, and she’s one of a few thick girls catering to the preteen girl demographic. But every time I watch That’s So Raven, I wonder why her breasts and the rest of her torso are always covered because it makes her look larger than she really is. Then I realized this is a technique to make Raven, 22, look more like a teenager for her roles on that show and in The Cheetah Girls movies. But choosing to cover her curves has led to a malicious debate online: Is Raven fat or all breasts?
- We all thought Britney Spears had breast augmentation when she was a teenager and a Rolling Stone article earlier this year claimed the rumor was true. Reportedly, it was a decision made by the singer and her mother, Lynne Spears, because they thought the culture demanded it. The press was extremely scornful of Brit’s new physique because, I think, it was contradictory to her “good-girl image.” Surprisingly, Britney regretted the implants because her natural breasts were still growing. When her natural breasts became larger, she had the implants removed, but she continues to deny ever having breast augmentation.
- Hilary Duff is another starlet rumored to have breast implants as a way of shedding her adolescent Lizzie McGuire image or to help with her music career. The rumors resurfaced after Hilary was photographed on the red carpet in 2007. But I’m not too sure of the validity of this rumor because Hilary could be wearing a push-up bra, bra tape or chicken cutlets (bra inserts). I guess only she and Joel Madden would know, if he got that far. I do have to say, though, that she looks to have had a nose job and dental veneers.
- Lindsay Lohan is another young actress who has been suspected of making a trip to the cosmetic surgeon. Rumors of her breast implants began to surface in 2004 and she does seem to have matured between her hit remake of Freaky Friday and Mean Girls. Although she continues to deny the rumors, saying her body developed during puberty, I think her physique has contributed to her party girl ways.
- Tara Reid is one of the few celebs (Can we still call her that?) to admit to having breast augmentation, but that might be because the job was so obviously botched. In 2004, definitely a lull in her career, Tara underwent breast augmentation surgery and liposuction. She said she wanted the surgery because her breasts were uneven in size and she justified the surgeries by saying, “I figured, I’m in Hollywood. I’m getting older. I’m going to fix them.” We’ve heard very little from Tara since she went public about the disastrous surgeries and reconstruction surgeries.